VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Administrative Records Stored Where?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

Does anyone know when you have filed a previous claim, are your administrative records and medical records still at the Archives, or all copies with your claims file.

I know that when I filed in 1978 the Va did not secure these records.

I have requested my administrative records from the archives and received a complete set each time. This would be in May of this year and July.

Does the Archives keep a copy of your Administrative Records, no matter how many times you have filed for service connected benefits and does the R. O have a copy also.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi,

Does anyone know when you have filed a previous claim, are your administrative records and medical records still at the Archives, or all copies with your claims file.

I know that when I filed in 1978 the Va did not secure these records.

I have requested my administrative records from the archives and received a complete set each time. This would be in May of this year and July.

Does the Archives keep a copy of your Administrative Records, no matter how many times you have filed for service connected benefits and does the R. O have a copy also.

Thanks,

Josephine

Josephine,

When I reopened my claim at Oakland VARO, they had to retrieve the file(s) from a dead storage site in a nearby town. The claim had been "final" for 10 years. Getting the old c files to the RO took about a month.

The RO had kept nothing from my decided claim - it was all sent to storage.

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder
When I reopened my claim at Oakland VARO, they had to retrieve the file(s) from a dead storage site in a nearby town. The claim had been "final" for 10 years. Getting the old c files to the RO took about a month.

The RO had kept nothing from my decided claim - it was all sent to storage.

Ralph,

Are you saying that my medical records and my administrative records were never returned to the St. Louis Archives after my filing of 1978.

I know that when I wrote to the Archives in 2004, that is when the New and Material Evidence of all of Psychiatric Consulations, and the letter from my Commanding Officer were acquired by me and copies were turned in to the Va. The claim of 1978 has been re-opened by the BVA due to these records.

I have been able to receive two complete copies of my Administrative Records, this year, from the Archives.

Doesn't this mean, that the R. O never acquired my Administrative Records?

Sure hope this one makes sense?

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Ralph,

Are you saying that my medical records and my administrative records were never returned to the St. Louis Archives after my filing of 1978.

I know that when I wrote to the Archives in 2004, that is when the New and Material Evidence of all of Psychiatric Consulations, and the letter from my Commanding Officer were acquired by me and copies were turned in to the Va. The claim of 1978 has been re-opened by the BVA due to these records.

I have been able to receive two complete copies of my Administrative Records, this year, from the Archives.

Doesn't this mean, that the R. O never acquired my Administrative Records?

Sure hope this one makes sense?

Josephine

Generally, all of your service records, with your name on them, which are owned by your branch of service but stored in the custody of the Nationl Archives are transferred to the VA when you file a claim. Hospital records are stored separately at the archives. Once a VA claim is filed they remain in your c-file. I received this info from the Asst. director of the military section of the National Archives at a VVA national meeting seminar in St Louis about 2 years ago.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder
Generally, all of your service records, with your name on them, which are owned by your branch of service but stored in the custody of the Nationl Archives are transferred to the VA when you file a claim. Hospital records are stored separately at the archives. Once a VA claim is filed they remain in your c-file. I received this info from the Asst. director of the military section of the National Archives at a VVA national meeting seminar in St Louis about 2 years ago.

Thanks to you guys,

My claim is beginning to make more sense each day. When I filed in 1978, the R.O did not secure my administrative records. or my psychiatric records.

The same R. O did the same trick when I re-filed in 2002.

I secured the psychiatric records in 2004 and they are New and Material evidence, which has opened my claim of 1978.

Now the AMC is wanting a copy of my Administrative Records. I knew that they were shocked when I sent them two copies, to which the archives sent to me with their official governament seal and a cover letter.

I have been telling the Va. for 42 years that I had requested a transfer from the duty station that was abusive and that the transfer did come in, but not before my early discharge.

The Archives sent me this paper in May of 2006 and again, when I requested my administrative records in July of 2006.

The lady psychiatrist made a slur in the C&P examination, The veteran denied any Article 15's.

Yes, I did, because I didn't have any.

The Supervisor of the AMC made mention of the Transfer Paper and that they were looking for Article 15's.

Thanks so much,

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

If they make an award of service connection-

there might be a CUE in the older claim-if it had been denied in a final decision due to the same disability that they finally service connect.

However Bell V Derwinski would play into that type of CUE heavily-

the medical evidence awarding any potential service connection at this point-would all have to have been in VA's "constructive" possession in 1978 at time of alleged CUE occurring.(Bell)

I am thinking the 1978 denial was possibly based on "not well grounded "claim-

dont know-

CUE is not an issue at all here until the VA makes any award of service connection.

Some of the evidence Josephine has seems to be dated after Bell-

that also would be a problem in proving CUE.