VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Diagnosis, next steps?

Rate this question

USMC_2015

Question

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

I went in for a recent evaluation at the VA Hospital, and I'm not sure why...but my first thought going in was "I'm tired of pretending I'm fine, that I'm not broken.  I'm tired of being angry, upset, crying, and the constant dreams reminding me of my lost brothers.  I really miss being able to sit in a goddamned restaurant and simply enjoying my mean, without having an exit plan, looking for suspicious people, and having constant visibility of all choke-points and the main entrance."  This train of thought continued on, going through the last 9 years of my life and realizing how much I've been burying my past and real emotions.  Anyway, I went through the appointment and just let it all go.  I was scared shitless, that they'd pack me away in a padded room...but then realized, maybe that was best.  After all of this, the nurse tells me after answering the stack of questions he had for me that I tested positive for PTSD, on top of my severe anxiety/depression disorder.  I've had a service-connected disability rating of 80% since 2009, and the thought of applying for an increased rating puts my stomach in knots!  I'm scheduled for a few different appointments, all of which are regards to mental health, but if I'm going to push this claim through....I need help. 

Thank you in advance!

Bill

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You stated :

"tested positive for PTSD, on top of my severe anxiety/depression disorder."

What is the 80% for?

VA only pays for one MH disability.Perhaps this exam would bolster the rating, for the anxiety /depression if that is SC now, but a PTSD diagnosis must come from a qualified VA MH professional. Was this a psychiatric nurse?

Are you employed? If not do you get SSDI solely for the SCs?

If you are not employed have you applied for TDIU?

Has VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down, solely for your SCs?

5 hours ago, Berta said:

You stated :

"tested positive for PTSD, on top of my severe anxiety/depression disorder."

What is the 80% for?

VA only pays for one MH disability.Perhaps this exam would bolster the rating, for the anxiety /depression if that is SC now, but a PTSD diagnosis must come from a qualified VA MH professional. Was this a psychiatric nurse?

Are you employed? If not do you get SSDI solely for the SCs?

If you are not employed have you applied for TDIU?

Has VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down, solely for your SCs?

10 hours ago, USMC_2015 said:

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

I went in for a recent evaluation at the VA Hospital, and I'm not sure why...but my first thought going in was "I'm tired of pretending I'm fine, that I'm not broken.  I'm tired of being angry, upset, crying, and the constant dreams reminding me of my lost brothers.  I really miss being able to sit in a goddamned restaurant and simply enjoying my mean, without having an exit plan, looking for suspicious people, and having constant visibility of all choke-points and the main entrance."  This train of thought continued on, going through the last 9 years of my life and realizing how much I've been burying my past and real emotions.  Anyway, I went through the appointment and just let it all go.  I was scared shitless, that they'd pack me away in a padded room...but then realized, maybe that was best.  After all of this, the nurse tells me after answering the stack of questions he had for me that I tested positive for PTSD, on top of my severe anxiety/depression disorder.  I've had a service-connected disability rating of 80% since 2009, and the thought of applying for an increased rating puts my stomach in knots!  I'm scheduled for a few different appointments, all of which are regards to mental health, but if I'm going to push this claim through....I need help. 

Thank you in advance!

Bill

I've never filed for TDIU, and I've never filed anything with Voc Rehab.  I wasn't aware you could only file one Mental Health disability with the VA.  My current disability rating is; 50% Anxiety/Depression, 10% Tinitus, 10% for each knee, and 10% for each shoulder.  I'm not claiming my flat feet, but I had special insoles made while in the Marine Corps, and had the VA get me a new pair.  I have it pretty bad in each foot...but in all honesty, I would feel like a complete weakling if I claim it.  Does the TDIU compensation differ than the 100% Employable?

TDIU, Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability is paid at the 100% rate, if awarded.  There isnt a such thing as "100% employable", but there is a 100% rating for mental health disorders and/or other disorders, also.  IF you are not working, and if your doctor says you can not work due to service connected conditions, (or you think a doctor will say that)   then you should apply for TDIU. 

TDIU isnt a lot different than a 100% rating, except that TDIU people send in a report every year where they state they have not had "substantial Gainful employment" the past 12 months.