VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P: Curious about terms and how they affect rating

Rate this question

commodog

Question

Hey guys! Recently had 2 C&P exams, both which were actually quite pleasant and professional, at the D.C. VAMC. Both docs listened, in entirety, to everything I had to say, and clearly had read my medical history, service history, etc.

In the C&P examinations, I noticed some categories and terms, and was wondering if any of you guys wise in the ways of interpreting said exams (previous raters, even?) could explain what the statements mean, and how they weigh on an individual rating?
If you can, cool. If not, hey thanks for reading anyways.

So here they are (both of these are reevaluations):

From a TBI C&P:

4. Functional impact
Do any of the Veteran's residual conditions attributable to a traumatic brain injury impact his or her ability to work? [X] Yes [ ] No

What does this tell or infer to the rater? What purpose does it serve?
IU eligibility?
Higher percentage?

From a PTSD C&P:

4. Symptoms  
For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:
[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety
[X] Suspiciousness
[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[X] Flattened affect
[X] Impaired judgment
[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting
[X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships
[X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

Criterion G:
[X] The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

I guess what I am looking for fellas, is just an idea of what these mean to the rater, and how much they impact my final rating? I'm not reading too much into it. I have learned from previous C&P's that it's just a waste of time to do so.

Thanks for your opinions/advice/perspective on this!

CommoDog

• HadIt.com Elder

My PTSD C&P went a lot like this  other than I don't have a TBI, 

I Had good Hygiene and was dressed causal and clean  ...I never seen this check in this report?

I feel this is why I only got 70%  b/c I do have good Hygiene and keep clean shave ect,,ect,,

so  I am thinking a 70% rating  but if this keeps you from working  definitely appy for the IU.

19 hours ago, Gastone said:

That's good, to a point. Did you actually file out the IU Claim Application where you list the last 5 yrs or so of employment and actual Earned Income for past couple years?

Did you list the employers that have terminated you, say over the last 4 yrs?

It certainly wouldn't hurt being proactive, filing the IU App with all the Employment & Earned Income info, could get a IU rating quicker.

Semper Fi

I have one filled out and ready to ship to them, but in the "Files Needed" it rather quickly stated "No Longer Needed", so I did not send it/attach it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came back 70% (in other words, stayed right where it was.), but if the rater considers the symptoms affecting my employment where marked in various places, then maybe it could be inferred or go scheduler 100%? Who knows? I know this is all based on the given raters interpretation anyways, but my dealings with the VA out here have been more straight forward and dignified than my experiences at other facilities/RO's. So I have this sliver of confidence in the system right now (out here) that I hope is not misplaced.

Now the Hard Work begins, the wait.

Semper Fi

How about posting copies of the actual C & P's, redacted of course. What you posted already, is all well and good, but there are Dr's statements that are missing.

Seeing the Dr's written responses would be very informative.

What was the date of your PTSD C & P? Have you received a Denial on the PTSD or IU yet?

Semper Fi