Jump to content
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Ad Free Subscription.jpgOne Time Financial Gift.jpg

    Subscriptions and Gifts are NOT Tax Deductible. HadIt.com is NOT a Non Profit.

  • 0

Riddle me a Psychiatrist...


"What did the combat vet say to the Psychiatrist?"...

Answer - I don't know, I'm having a heck of a time finding one...

So here is my request for help from you all who live in Texas - Houston to be exact.

Can anyone recommend a Psychiatrist who has experience with Vets (combat vets a plus)?

I'm having a hard time picking up the phone to make an appt with a Psychiatrist who may not understand a Vet.

I know I can make an appt with a Psychiatrist at the VA but at this point I'd feel more comfortable not going that route if I can....

Thank you for reading my post and recommendations.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Is this for a PTSD claim?

If so, you will need the PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional ( 2010 PTSD regulations).

If the 10% you have now is for SC PTSD and you want to claim a higher rating,and need an IMO maybe one of these doctors in your area could help:


I googled PTSD Psychiatrists Houston Tx and a whole bunch of MH professionals  popped up.



  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

Then there's this option.

You think you have a MH issue, based on your symptoms, right. Your symptoms are the only thing the VA considers you to be an expert on, evidence wise. You need to determine exactly what type of MH issue you have. Seeking non VA MH assistance can cost $100+ per hr. if your private Ins covers it, ok.

You could opt for a VA Group MH program, usually lead by a MH Social Worker.

VMC MH procedures may have changed somewhat since 2010, back then your PCP administered a PTSD Q & A Screening, about 10 - 15 questions regarding your symptoms. Depending on your Score, you were referred to the VMC MH Dept, where a MH Nurse did another Q & A Screening. After which, based on your score, you could choose to see a Psychiatrist for treatment or attend Group Therapy (about 12 Vets). I opted for the Group and did about 21/2 years of weekly sessions. Never saw a VA Psychiatrist, except for the PTSD C & P which was held about 3 mos after I filed the claim, the day after I was assigned to the PTSD Group.

You don't need an Actual Psychiatrist's DX of your MH condition to file the claim.

Start a MH FDC on your E-Ben Site to establish a file date for Retro.

Secure Msg Your VMC PCP on your MHV Site, Secure Msg link. Discuss your need for a MH Evaluation, you can even reference the severity of your Symptoms. This Secure Msg will become part of your VMC Clinician Notes, think "Paper Trail."

Semper Fi

  • Like 2

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for the information @Berta & @Gastone

I'm just starting down this path and your insight into how to navigate this MH process is key.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Keep in mind, always start an E-File Claim on your E-ben account to lock in your RETRO $$ Date, as soon as you think you might have a Direct or Secondary SC Comp issue, just don't hit the Submit Button yet.

You have 12 mos from the Date you start the E-Ben FDC, to actually submit the claim. That should be adequate time to get your Med Evidence organized and attached (Pdfs) to the claim. Procrastination is the downfall of many MH Vets, including yours truly. Don't let it burn you on the Retro.

Semper Fi

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This are the 2010 PTSD regs....believe me many commented on them,some of us from hadit, but they held to the new diagnosis criteria.


These regs helped OEF vets but not other war vets,unless their DD 214s revealed PH, CAR, or CIB on their DD 214s and their stressors could be easily verified.

There has been much discussion here on the new 2010 criteria.

If you are claiming PTSD and are not an incountry OEF veteran, you surely will need to prove your stressor,if you don't have any of those awards on your DD 214.VA will probably try to verify the award  anyhow, even if you do have one of them.

If you feel your DD 214 does not reflect all of the awards or citations you may have received, you can apply for a DD 215 with a DD 149 form, available here under a search.

Just put 'Not applicable' to the 'Injustice" part and make copy, sign and mail it to where they direct you to on the back of the form.. and get a Proof of Mailing..

Do you have a copy of your SMRs and military personnel file?




Edited by Berta

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Our picks

    • Type 1 Diabetes recent onset!
      I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2017 OUT OF NOWHERE.

      i am a Navy Reservist and deployed in later 2009 to mid 2010 and again later 2014 to mid 2015; had a 2 year recall between those deployments.  

      Only healthcare received since commissioning in 2008 was from the Navy and no issues EVER.

      insulin dependent and have dietary restrictions and in a non deployable status.

      VA denied initial claim due to Type 1 not showing on active duty and now appealing.

      Anyone with successful experience getting a rating with my circumstances?  I live in Upstate New York.
      • 9 replies
    • Agent Orange Kadena Afb Okinawa
      I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.
      • 15 replies
    • CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 Published Dec 2018
      CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 - This CBO Report has been making the news. This post includes parts relevant to veterans. Nothing has been decided as of yet and some seem very unlikely but you never know. Forewarned is Forearmed.


      • 10 replies
    • 2019 Veterans Benefits
      State Benefits, Space A and More ... https://www.hadit.com/2019-changes-to-veterans-benefits-state-and-federal/
      • 2 replies
    • Appeal granted and closed.
      My appeal was granted and closed on November 9.  I got an unofficial notification from the DAV on November 15 stating "appeal granted with an evaluation of 30%" which is great!  My question is this:  How long until I get the official notification from the va? Nothing on ebennies has updated since the appeal closed. Appeal is now in historical and just says complete and at originating va office. I understand no one knows va timelines to a tee but a general timeline would be great.  Thank you all! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!


      Edit:  This was my first time appealing and it was a VBA grant. 
        • Like
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines