VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Riddle me a Psychiatrist...

Rate this question

PFDR

Question

"What did the combat vet say to the Psychiatrist?"...

Answer - I don't know, I'm having a heck of a time finding one...

So here is my request for help from you all who live in Texas - Houston to be exact.

Can anyone recommend a Psychiatrist who has experience with Vets (combat vets a plus)?

I'm having a hard time picking up the phone to make an appt with a Psychiatrist who may not understand a Vet.

I know I can make an appt with a Psychiatrist at the VA but at this point I'd feel more comfortable not going that route if I can....

Thank you for reading my post and recommendations.

Is this for a PTSD claim?

If so, you will need the PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional ( 2010 PTSD regulations).

If the 10% you have now is for SC PTSD and you want to claim a higher rating,and need an IMO maybe one of these doctors in your area could help:

https://psychiatrists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=Houston&state=TX&spec=19

I googled PTSD Psychiatrists Houston Tx and a whole bunch of MH professionals  popped up.

Then there's this option.

You think you have a MH issue, based on your symptoms, right. Your symptoms are the only thing the VA considers you to be an expert on, evidence wise. You need to determine exactly what type of MH issue you have. Seeking non VA MH assistance can cost $100+ per hr. if your private Ins covers it, ok.

You could opt for a VA Group MH program, usually lead by a MH Social Worker.

VMC MH procedures may have changed somewhat since 2010, back then your PCP administered a PTSD Q & A Screening, about 10 - 15 questions regarding your symptoms. Depending on your Score, you were referred to the VMC MH Dept, where a MH Nurse did another Q & A Screening. After which, based on your score, you could choose to see a Psychiatrist for treatment or attend Group Therapy (about 12 Vets). I opted for the Group and did about 21/2 years of weekly sessions. Never saw a VA Psychiatrist, except for the PTSD C & P which was held about 3 mos after I filed the claim, the day after I was assigned to the PTSD Group.

You don't need an Actual Psychiatrist's DX of your MH condition to file the claim.

Start a MH FDC on your E-Ben Site to establish a file date for Retro.

Secure Msg Your VMC PCP on your MHV Site, Secure Msg link. Discuss your need for a MH Evaluation, you can even reference the severity of your Symptoms. This Secure Msg will become part of your VMC Clinician Notes, think "Paper Trail."

Semper Fi

Keep in mind, always start an E-File Claim on your E-ben account to lock in your RETRO $$ Date, as soon as you think you might have a Direct or Secondary SC Comp issue, just don't hit the Submit Button yet.

You have 12 mos from the Date you start the E-Ben FDC, to actually submit the claim. That should be adequate time to get your Med Evidence organized and attached (Pdfs) to the claim. Procrastination is the downfall of many MH Vets, including yours truly. Don't let it burn you on the Retro.

Semper Fi

This are the 2010 PTSD regs....believe me many commented on them,some of us from hadit, but they held to the new diagnosis criteria.

http://www.va.gov/ORPM/docs/20100713_AN32_StressorDeterminationsforPosttraumatic.pdf

These regs helped OEF vets but not other war vets,unless their DD 214s revealed PH, CAR, or CIB on their DD 214s and their stressors could be easily verified.

There has been much discussion here on the new 2010 criteria.

If you are claiming PTSD and are not an incountry OEF veteran, you surely will need to prove your stressor,if you don't have any of those awards on your DD 214.VA will probably try to verify the award  anyhow, even if you do have one of them.

If you feel your DD 214 does not reflect all of the awards or citations you may have received, you can apply for a DD 215 with a DD 149 form, available here under a search.

Just put 'Not applicable' to the 'Injustice" part and make copy, sign and mail it to where they direct you to on the back of the form.. and get a Proof of Mailing..

Do you have a copy of your SMRs and military personnel file?

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

My PCP referred me to MH & a LCSW did my  evaluation and then had me see a MH Phyistrist, I think I seen two or three the day of my evaluation.

They will probably ask you if you want to start treatment and see a  therapist counselor..its a good Ideal to take them up on it, but if you have private insurance  it maybe good to see them.

but as Ms berta mention you need a DSM 5 PTSD Diagnose from the VA MH Dept  for compensation purposes.

I opt for the one on one therapy counseling  vs the group therapy..I just prefer to be alone with one person...but  you may like the group counseling better...its your choice.  

I would recommend do all your MH with the VA...They have an excellent MH PSTD Program or Program's