VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unique 100% question

Rate this question

johnsoncm

Question

I'm trying to find out something that I have seen no info for on any VA or VA related website:

I am at a normally combined disability rating of 90%, however I am being paid at the 100% rate for TDIU P&T.

I was rated TDIU about 4 years ago and the award was permanent and total.  Since then, retirement has been difficult since I'm only 37.  I miss work.  That having been said, about a year ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and last Friday I found I have a bulging disk in my lower back, both of which are ratable under VA disability - they are however not currently rated since I didn't put in a claim, why bother, right? I'm gettin paid at 100% and my care is all taken care of.

However, if I were to apply to service connect these as secondary to my existing service connected back injury - the only reason for the new stuff is the damage done to how I walk, move, etc from the old stuff - then I could possibly be rated from 90% combined to 100% combined anyway and retain the Permanent and Total aspect.  The difference is, if they drop the TDIU off of my rating, I might be able to get a job again and easy my financial worries and get something of my old self back in the process.

Is it worth it?  Can I even do that?  Or would the VA find some way to thwart me here and I end up losing the money I get and the benefits for my kids?

My biggest fears are:

The VA will find some reason to mess with me, somehow, someway.
I'll open myself up to more scrutiny and all of a sudden I'll be getting all kinds of people trying to figure out how they can save Uncle Sam a few pennies by taking my benefits and decreasing them.
And honestly, what happens if I do get a job and can't hack it? I was in the emergency room too many times from the last job I had and I am frankly a little worried by that.

Will my kids still get their coverage? Will they even drop the TDIU? Or will they try to accuse me of fraud or some crap and try to sue or fine or imprison me? That may sound paranoid, but I've read some horror stories on this and other sites......        

• HadIt.com Elder

johnsoncm

SMC is (Special monthly Compensation) It has different tears of percentage's.

To Quafily you need a 100% rating  and then another seperate rating of 60% or more to quailfy.

Example  a 90% Combined rated veteran with IU  &  that  his is first Rating, then he files  for another contention and is Service Connected and  rated a 60% or higher  then  they (VA Raters) look at the SMC ''Special'' Rating table chart and award a statutory award Accordingly by Inferred 

Check Out Asknod Blog  he gives examples of how veterans can be rated with SMC at different levels of S.C. Disability's'