VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What are my chances at 100%

Rate this question

chomperjones

Question

Hi, sorry if my message seems like a downer but my depression and anxiety is bad right now and i have questions that have me in panic mode.

So im currently at 80%

60% for severe allergies rhinitis/sinusitis I developed 

and the rest split between asthma and cystic acne.

here's my deal. i witnessed a b2 bomber crash (its only happened twice so you can probably guess my base). When i say i witnessed it i mean i was actually out working on the flightline during the crash. And i dont know why or how but iv been screwed up every since then. ive been off and on antidepressants, im afraid to be in front of windows, ive gotten in trouble for violence, and more.

But it gets worse, the pain from the allrgies and asthma is sickening - literally. i can't sleep longer than 4 hours, headaches, constant shortness of breath, no energy, EVER, dont want to leave the house and so much more.

All of that caused my depression to go overdrive - i have no friends, my family cut me off. havent been able to hold a job in over 3 years. I seriously thought about suicide and cant say the idea is fleeting at this point.

It was so bad that i was forced to stay in the mental health clinic for 4 days. a few weeks ago

I need help - do you think i would be able to file a claim for major depression, ptsd, headaches, and chronic fatigue syndrome, and do you think it would possibly help me get to 100% - as that would improve my life so much right now. Im capable of working,i want to work, ive tried to work. but the jobs im skilled in i cant work because of the asthma and sensitive allergies/sinuses..

The hospital says the headaches are probably caused from the sinus infections i keep having, as i type im on antibiotics for a sinus infection, the mri shows that my right sinus cavity is extremely inflammed and filled with "stuff" as the dr. put it.. I caught strep throat 5 times last year.

Thank you - and sorry for the sad posts - im just not feeling to well right now. 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

---you probably mean the crash  at Anderson AFB in 2008. I think both pilots ejected safely.

Veterans who were in rescue/recovery ops after crashes, or part of the Fire team at the scene of these types of crashes often can succeed in PTSD claims, I am sure.

Here is an award to a show what VA needs regarding this type of claim: The entire case has to be read to understand how the BVA decided this:

“In this case, the Veteran seeks service connection for PTSD, claiming that he developed PTSD as a result of having seen fiery aircraft crashes, to include victims in the wreckage, while stationed at Gander Army Air Base (AAB) in Newfoundland, during World War II (WWII).  The Veteran is not in receipt of any military citations indicative of combat service such that the combat presumption under 38 U.S.C.A. § 1154(b) would apply.  As such, service connection will be considered under the amended regulatory provision, 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f)(3).

In evaluating the Veteran's claim under the amended regulatory provision, the Board will first consider whether the Veteran's claimed stressor event is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of his service.”

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files1/1205703.txt

Edited by Berta

You can certainly file for anything you feel is related to your service. I would think the upper respiratory conditions could sure cause fatigue ( or the meds for them could )....but VA does not care what I think and perhaps your treating doctor could provide an IMO/IME for you on that.

I hope others here will chime in on the initial post you made recently.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms Berta is correct

a veteran can do this..> quote from ms berta

“In this case, the Veteran seeks service connection for PTSD, claiming that he developed PTSD as a result of having seen fiery aircraft crashes, to include victims in the wreckage, while stationed at Gander Army Air Base (AAB) in Newfoundland, during World War II (WWII).  The Veteran is not in receipt of any military citations indicative of combat service such that the combat presumption under 38 U.S.C.A. § 1154(b) would apply.  As such, service connection will be considered under the amended regulatory provision, 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f)(3).

In evaluating the Veteran's claim under the amended regulatory provision, the Board will first consider whether the Veteran's claimed stressor event is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of his service.”

THIS IS A TRUMATIC EXPERINCE

I would file claims for everything  especially PTSD

But I also stated:

"Here is an award to a show what VA needs regarding this type of claim: The entire case has to be read to understand how the BVA decided this:"

My point was just seeing a 'crash' might not be a stressor for VA purposes.

The BVA decision above was based on far more factors than witnessing a crash and this is why I posted the link.

I added from personal experience:

"Veterans who were in rescue/recovery ops after crashes, or part of the Fire team at the scene of these types of crashes often can succeed in PTSD claims, I am sure ."

I forgot to add I know at least 2 vets who did, and also my husband was a volunteer in Danang for a recovery Op--1964 , I told this story before, and he went to the VA for a business loan  but was immediately diagnosed with PTSD ( 1983) because he relayed the event to someone he thought was another Vietnam  veteran while waiting for them to arrest him ( another story I already told here)

They didnt arrest him at all..the "veteran" he talked to was also the 'on the site psychiatrist in Danang  at the river that same day and for many weeks more because of the nature of this horrific event, (some Marines went off the deep end mentally right away from it) and he wrote a buddy statement for my husband that , the VA accepted right away because he was also the Director of this VAMC in NJ, as well as it's head psychiatrist.My husband could still see and smell the dead for the next 30 years.It was all in the national news here in the 'world' as well.Horrible.

Seeing a crash, (and I think no one got hurt at Anderson if that was the crash),

might not be a sufficient stressor for PTSD....but maybe for an acquired psychiatric disorder or depression  from it.   maybe ....I am not saying it was not traumatic for you...it is just---- will VA see it that way?.