VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

what happens when you sign up for Independent Living.

Rate this question

Rocket1949

Question

I recently went to my vocational rehab orientation and when I meet my VRC they told me that I didn't qualify for employment training/schooling. They said I would be recommended for independent living. They sent me home with some homework and I am supposed to research a few things I was interested in. I have approximately 18 months of benefits remaining. Wasn't clear what that meant.

Im hoping that Asknod jumps in here and offers insight. Does anyone have knowledge of the independent living program? Does this indeed mean I have been granted Independent living? Are there more steps  to take before it is granted or denied? If it has indeed been granted would this have a direct effect on a TDIU claim?

Anyone with information or experience  to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Start with the early posts on ILP here. https://asknod.org/category/independent-living-program/. There are 106 blog posts on the subject. I published every denial and every part of the appeal process. The answer is yes. I know quite a bit about the ILP. If they find you  infeasible for training, you go to Plan b (ILP). They'll try to go into grab bars and sock puller uppers if you have back problems. I'd start with a new computer so you can " communicate with other Vets in your community".  You can get that fairly easily even if you have to ask for an Administrative Review in DC. Since I do not know what your avocational interests are, what VARO you are working out of, or what you are disabled from, I obviously cannot suggest fishing gear or a metal detector. 

Thanks for the response asknod. I was wondering about the process of being chosen for Independent Living. My initial meeting with my VRC after filling out a lot of paper work and taking an assessment test online resulted  in them stating that their report would show that I don't qualify for training for employment.

They gave me a homework assignment to research these things that I have an interest in.  Gardening (  I like growing trees from cuttings ) , computers and computer training, and digital photography. I'm not clear what will become of this. They said I will get a letter explaining what's next. A appointment perhaps at my home to interview me and do a needs assessment. I believe at some point I have to do a IILP.

Im not sure what I should ask for or what the VA will allow. I know you have done a greenhouse and a computer. Would a digital camera be improper to request?

How would ILP affect being granted TDIU? I'm currently @ 80% and have filed an appeal for TDIU.

If my initial meeting  with my VRC they  recommend me for the ILP. Does that mean that it will be granted or is there other approvals to get before it's granted ?

Sorry for the long post. 

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

If Voc-Rehab could not find you any type of employment that you can do  b/c of your S.C. Disability's, then if I was you I would ask the Voc Rehab counselor to write you a letter stating that you have been in Voc Rehab program  on such and such dates and he finds you that  its not feasible to retrain this veteran at this time.

That will be a crucial part of evidence to turn in for TDIU.

As for as the ILP, You should be approved with no problems and ask for what ever you want or need to help you with everyday life, they use to give riding lawn mowers but I think there cracking down on that, but anything you need around the house  like ramps for wheel chairs things in the bathroom to help & hobbys like a camera, binoculars for bird watching ect,,ect,,wood working tools,paintings,sculptures, or what ever it is that will help you in everyday life.

don't be shy asking for what you need or want. all they can do is say no or that don't qualify. 

In my opinion the sock puller-uppers and reach/grab sticks or just a ploy to throw the Vet off his thinking and there hoping that's all you will ask for , so don't be shy ask for anything you need my friend. 

jmo

......................Buck

Rocket, this is my 2nd run at the VA IL program. Non VA IL Social Worker came out about 2 months ago for 1hr consult discussing residential safety needs, hobbies and possible need for computer. Advised me that nothing we discussed is guaranteed, her report would be review by my VA Voc Rehab/IL Councilor and I would be contacted.

My personal opinion here, VA IL Councilors seem to spend way more time telling you what the IL Program can no-longer supply, rather than exactly what can be provided. Very secretive, like pulling teeth trying to find out exactly what is available.

Got a call from my VA VR/IL Councilor just about 3 wks ago, apologizing for the delay. She claimed she had to present my case (in 2 weeks) to the IL Board for approval and would notify me soon. Still waiting for the call.

Voc Rehab Denial Letter, is a "Piece of Gold" for an IU Claim. It got me a DRO Hearing IU Award back on 06/29/14.

Just don't set on the Denial Letter waiting for your Appeal, which Appeal route did you choose, DRO Review, Hearing or BVA Hearing? You need to get the Voc Rehab Denial Letter submitted to the VA with a 21-4138 (Stmt Supp of Clm) discussing it as Compelling N & M Evidence supporting your IU Claim.

AND, if your State has a DAV Residential Property Tax Exemption, the Voc Rehab Denial Letter will qualify you under the IU requirement for the State Exemption. Take a copy to your City Tax Authority, complete the application, you should be good to go.

A good friend of mine was sitting on his Voc Reh Denial Letter back on 06/29/14. He was waiting to present it at his DRO Hearing, that's a mistake.

After some discussion 06/30/14, he immediately filed it with the RO and he also used it to file 07/02/14 for the MI DAV Prop Tax Exemption. Got his Tax Refund within 2 months of filing and hasn't had to pay Prop Tax Since.

Finally had his DRO Hearing 09/15, Retro finally hit 04/16, IU Award Letter arrived end of 05/16.

Semper Fi

On 10/20/2016 at 4:31 AM, Gastone said:

Rocket, this is my 2nd run at the VA IL program. Non VA IL Social Worker came out about 2 months ago for 1hr consult discussing residential safety needs, hobbies and possible need for computer. Advised me that nothing we discussed is guaranteed, her report would be review by my VA Voc Rehab/IL Councilor and I would be contacted.

My personal opinion here, VA IL Councilors seem to spend way more time telling you what the IL Program can no-longer supply, rather than exactly what can be provided. Very secretive, like pulling teeth trying to find out exactly what is available.

Got a call from my VA VR/IL Councilor just about 3 wks ago, apologizing for the delay. She claimed she had to present my case (in 2 weeks) to the IL Board for approval and would notify me soon. Still waiting for the call.

Voc Rehab Denial Letter, is a "Piece of Gold" for an IU Claim. It got me a DRO Hearing IU Award back on 06/29/14.

Just don't set on the Denial Letter waiting for your Appeal, which Appeal route did you choose, DRO Review, Hearing or BVA Hearing? You need to get the Voc Rehab Denial Letter submitted to the VA with a 21-4138 (Stmt Supp of Clm) discussing it as Compelling N & M Evidence supporting your IU Claim.

AND, if your State has a DAV Residential Property Tax Exemption, the Voc Rehab Denial Letter will qualify you under the IU requirement for the State Exemption. Take a copy to your City Tax Authority, complete the application, you should be good to go.

A good friend of mine was sitting on his Voc Reh Denial Letter back on 06/29/14. He was waiting to present it at his DRO Hearing, that's a mistake.

After some discussion 06/30/14, he immediately filed it with the RO and he also used it to file 07/02/14 for the MI DAV Prop Tax Exemption. Got his Tax Refund within 2 months of filing and hasn't had to pay Prop Tax Since.

Finally had his DRO Hearing 09/15, Retro finally hit 04/16, IU Award Letter arrived end of 05/16.

Semper Fi

Sweet! I've got that one bookmarked.

Edited by armorer

Thanks Buck,and Gastone for the replys. As far as TDIU my appeal is thru Los Angeles RO. I'm going with a DRO. I'm planning on submitting documentation from my Vocational Rehap decision when I receive it. 

That's one of my questions. At what point do you receive confirmation/documentation from Vocational Rehab confirming your status with the program? Is anything posted on ebenefits ?

Thanks