VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

what happens when you sign up for Independent Living.

Rate this question

Rocket1949

Question

I recently went to my vocational rehab orientation and when I meet my VRC they told me that I didn't qualify for employment training/schooling. They said I would be recommended for independent living. They sent me home with some homework and I am supposed to research a few things I was interested in. I have approximately 18 months of benefits remaining. Wasn't clear what that meant.

Im hoping that Asknod jumps in here and offers insight. Does anyone have knowledge of the independent living program? Does this indeed mean I have been granted Independent living? Are there more steps  to take before it is granted or denied? If it has indeed been granted would this have a direct effect on a TDIU claim?

Anyone with information or experience  to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not really, I was denied my recent 4 or 5/16 Voc Rehab at the 1st interview. Had to go thru Voc Rehab to get to IL prog, all this took place at the 1st Interview. Just so happened same Voc Rehab Councilor said she was going to be my IL Councilor.

The IL program is still in the works but I did receive an Official Letter from the VR councilor indicating I was not eligible for Voc Rehab at this time, due to SC Conditions and that I could reapply in the future, if and when the SC Disabilities improve.

Ask for the VR Denial Letter now, don't wait, it's N & M evidence for IU and State DAV property Tax Exemption. You can refile for the IL Services in a a couple weeks, there not going anywhere. The IU Award and Property Tax Exemption are worth big $$, get them now, not later.

Semper Fi

Something most Veterans on BOTH coasts of America might not realize is that when you abandon any claim with VA, you are, in essence, agreeing with their assessment of the denial- be it for a disability claim or a request for IL services. If you apply for the IL Program and then drop out, you are most assuredly allowed to refile a new request. I just did it right on top of the greenhouse win in April of this year.  I asked for two years of the LexisNexis VBM for $350 a year ($700 total). They granted under pressure to finish ironing out the greenhouse IILP, I admit, but they granted. Making a claim/request for anything at the VA (or the VR&E) should never be done if you do not intend to pursue it to completion. It tells the VA you are spineless and the request was not necessary and vital as enumerated in VA OGC Precedent 6-2001. This why I advocate for a Win or Die approach. If you do not believe in what you are fighting for, you stand little chance of winning. 

VA isn't stupid. They read these boards, too. They know Vets are using the VR&E "infeasible for work letter" as a springboard to TDIU so it's a matter of time before they alter their behavior and start saying a VR&E decision has no weight in an IU argument for an extraschedular rating. Vets are adept at finding loopholes and VA is just as adept at coming back around to back fill them.

If you apply for anything with the VA and do not appeal it, you are, in essence, saying you were not entitled to it and the request/claim was not substantiated. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot get a letter from VA VR&E saying you are hors d' combat for a Vocational pathway to a job and still keep your irons in the fire for an avocational ILP grant. The whole purpose of Form 1900 and the initial intake assessment is like a preauthorization for a mortgage. Either you qualify or you don't. Once declared infeasible, get out the Cabela's catalog and start browsing. By all means, ask for the letter stating the infeasibility of you being a candidate for 'Vocational' training and file it with the DRO but do not let your ILP aspirations lapse or agree to relinquish them. 

States vary in what they will accept as proof of 100% disability. In Washington, you need a 100% or TDIU rating  from VA or a determination from the Social Security folks. A simple letter from VR&E saying you've been turned down for vocab rehab training won't get you any sympathy at the  Tax Assessor's office or relief from any quarter-including the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Over the years, I've watched what VA does with TDIU. Folks in Rocket 1949's predicament with a hearing loss do not get the sympathy that a  MDD-Vet with a major SC back problem would get. Or a DM 2 for 40%. Or peripheral neuropathy in all four extremities for 10 or 20%. VA considers anything less than dang near stone deaf in both ears like Buck to be a minor inconvenience. A job taking orders at the Jack in the Box Drive thru window is right out but selling widgets on line for 8 hrs a day using a computer is often feasible work in their eyes. If you are 64 years old, you're far more likely to get IU than if you're 38. Numerous things go into an IU determination for extraschedular.

And, since the Director of Comp. and Pen. is at VACO in DC, it matters little which coast of America you're closest to. On the other hand, in ILP programs the opposite is true. Most VR&E outfits here in the west deny anything past grab bars. My left coast greenhouse is the first in decades. I did get a gal a hoist for their swimming pool to haul grandpa (Korean Vet) out. It was expensive and they cried a lot but they caved in. 

In MI, the New 2013 DAV Residential Property Tax Exemption law is available only to those Vets that are Rated Scheduler 100% SC, or in receipt of Pecuniary Assistance (Ramps etc), or are determined by the VA to be "Currently Individually Unemployable" due to their SC conditions."

A new application is required the 1st quarter of each year, be filed with the Vet's City Taxing Authority. In 3 different MI cities ( since 2013), the Voc Rehab Denial Letter indicating the Vet is not eligible for the VR Program due entirely to his SC Conditions, has been accepted as verification for the IU Property Tax exemption.

Being in receipt of SSDI is not listed as 1 of the 3 (OR's) for the MI DAV Exemption.

Semper Fi

I applied for ILP and Self Employment a few days ago.  Preparing my business plan now.  My list of items for business should be between $50-$70k; uphill battle with a quoted "win or die" approach.  I'm 70% (back 40%, depression 50%, and skin (shaving)10% with IU + SSDI.

@Asknod...That greenhouse is mad expensive, lol. It would make a good case study as to what is or isn't possible. 

Mdash. I take it your 100% Scheduler, not IU, right?

My Voc Rehab Councilor. same same, my IL program Councilor just advised me (5/16) that due to my SC's Severity, Voc Rehab was off the table, had to pursue the IL Program. She also stated that any type of Self Employment Business assistance would have to be addressed by the Voc Rehab Program, which I currently don't qualify for.

The IL Program is for Quality of Life issues, not business for self, start ups. You may have to redirect your application to the Voc Rehab Program.

Semper Fi