VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

what happens when you sign up for Independent Living.

Rate this question

Rocket1949

Question

I recently went to my vocational rehab orientation and when I meet my VRC they told me that I didn't qualify for employment training/schooling. They said I would be recommended for independent living. They sent me home with some homework and I am supposed to research a few things I was interested in. I have approximately 18 months of benefits remaining. Wasn't clear what that meant.

Im hoping that Asknod jumps in here and offers insight. Does anyone have knowledge of the independent living program? Does this indeed mean I have been granted Independent living? Are there more steps  to take before it is granted or denied? If it has indeed been granted would this have a direct effect on a TDIU claim?

Anyone with information or experience  to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yo Mdash, what happened with the BFS  deal? If your elegible for BFS, IL might be out of the question. Are you considered still in VA Voc Reh or has your case been closed? I don't think you can be in an active VRP and apply for IL simultaneously, could be wrong.

Are you 100% Scheduler or IU? Have you requested an increase for Statutory SMC S (1) (House Bound)?

Semper Fi

IL update. Just got my IL Authorization letter discussing the different Benefits that the IL dept had authorized, requiring my signature to start the ball rolling.

Called my IL Councilor to advise her I was faxing the Signed letter back. Asked her what type of computer, she said a Desktop was standard. I requested a laptop, we discussed my whys, she agreed and added it to her paperwork.

Stay tuned, my foot is in the IL Door.

Semper Fi

Gastone ,what's your status with your IILP ? After waiting and calling my VRC a few times and not getting any responses I finally was able to see her . We talked a little bit about my status and I asked about  an avocational interest and what would I need to qualify  to receive a grant to pursue such . In my case photography. 

I also talked about my FOIA request for vocational  rehab records..

The reason for the FOIA request was previously when I talked about getting a denial letter from VR she wasn't willing to do that and stated that that would be in my records. So at this point my records have been put in the pipeline and hopefully I'll receive them soon.

Im going to ask about the denial letter again when I talk to her. I'm also going to ask about how a denial letter would affect any ILP claim. As stated previously in this post someone said that their ILP was closed.

Has anyone had information show on ebenefits related to ILP? I'm not even sure of my status.

Now back to my avocation interest. I had stated that my interest had been photography which actually started in Viet Nam. She brought up the regulations that govern the ILP program. The regulations ( M28R,Part IV section C chapter 9,page 13) states ,The disability condition limits or prevents participation in the avocational intrest.)

Well my knee jerk reaction was to say that I can take pictures. I just don't have the tools. I was thinking of physical limitations. She sent me the regulations and told me to read the regulations  and think about it and that we would talk  on Monday . After reading the requirements and putting more thought into it my limitations would be the avoidance of social interaction attributable to PTSD. I don't know if this is a convincing argument or not. 

Im hoping to get guidance from my friends on hadit. Asknod you out there?

Edited by Rocket1949
Spelling,additional questions

Got my Thinkpad and All-in-one printer mid 02/17. Out of town for a couple weeks, just had an interview with an Independent Disability Counselor, lasted about 11/2 hrs at a local coffee shop. He's a combination IT and Quality of life Councilor.

We spent 15+ min discussing the setup & functions of the Thinkpad and the rest of the time discussing objectives. Have another appointment in 3 weeks.

Still waiting on the IL Referral regarding the Residential up-grade Grant.

Semper Fi