VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opoids to Tylenol 3 with Codeine

Rate this topic

Got a question for anybody who has been on Opoids for some time and then came off of them. I started on pain meds; Oxycodone back around October 2013 for Cervical and Lumbar DDD/DJD with Upper and Lower Radiculopathy. For some reason i haven't been part of this new opioid pain medication cut back. I think its because of the severity of my pain and all the tests they run still shows current radiculopathy with current polyneuropathy bilaterally in my legs.

Anyway, from October 2013 up to December 2015 or January 2016 I was on Oxycodone 5mg. The 5mg effects ran its course (its life ran out). Instead of just upping the mgs to 10mgs my VA Neurologist added Morphine ER 15mg to the prescription. So then I was taking Oxycodone 5mg and Morphine ER 15. I was against this from the beginning because I didn't feel right taking Morphine as it didn't set right with me. So I complained to him an a secured message in an email. So what does Pain Management do they set me up an appointment with somebody else in the office. I thought I was going back to see him. Whenever I go to the appointment I am there seeing some PA, no Neurologist. What does she do, she takes me off the Oxycodone and ADDS Morphine IR 5mg and leaves the Morphine ER 15mg!!!! After about two weeks I sent my PM Neurologist a Secured message and told him I wanted an appointment with him and nobody else.

Long story short I finally told him to just take me off the Morphine IR and put me back on Tramadol and leave me on the Morphine ER 15mg. Well since day one of the Morphine ER 15mg I have been depressed and in a dream. I have been stuck in my bedroom since December 2015 and I do not leave out of it unless its necessary. The Tramadol has run its life out about a month ago because its only a synthetic opiod and whenever you start taking real opiods Tramadol will quit working. So Tramadol doesn't even work anymore.

So last week I have had enough of the Morphine ER and started to wean off of it. Today I received my last bottle of Morphine ER and I sent my VA PCP advising that I am weaning off and how I have been doing it. Instead of taking one a day I have been taking one every other day. Yes I have been paying for it with withdraws and this ringing in my left ear but I am determined NO MORE!!!! I'd rather suffer in pain than to be depressed like I have been because of the Morphine ER.

So I asked my PCP that if I come off the Morphine ER would he fill me a prescription of Tylenol 3 with Codeine on an as needed basis to only be refilled every couple of months. My question is as anybody or do anybody take Tylenol 3 with Codeine or does the VA prescribe this? I know whenever I was in the Army I was prescribed this once but that was back in the mid 90s. I just do know I will need something for my pain as I do not take any Lyric or Gabapentin any longer because of the horrific weight gain it caused. The weight gain caused more pain. So it was agreed they give Topromax 50mg 3x a day which actually helps you lose weight. I've lost 20lbs since taking it. Good note for people who may want to take this medication is for me I cannot stand drinking sodas anymore. Topramax somehow changes the taste of the soda to me and its awful. Thats a great thing though!!!!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic