VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam/ PTSD-MST

Rate this question

Firewalker

Question

. Other, if any: No response provided. 3. Stressors ------------ Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military): a. Stressor #1: Rape in 1989 Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support the diagnosis of PTSD)? [X] Yes [ ] No Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or terrorist activity? [ ] Yes [X] No If no, explain: not related to military conflict Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual trauma? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, please describe the markers that may substantiate the stressor. there are no markers of the assault 4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria --------------------------- Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criteria A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #7 - Other symptoms. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, referred to as Criteria A-H, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5). Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violation, in one or more of the following ways: [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s) Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred: [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following: [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., "I am bad,: "No one can be trusted,: "The world is completely dangerous,: "My whole nervous system is permanently ruined"). [X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others. Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation) typically expressed as verbal or physical aggression toward people or objects. [X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep). Criterion F: [X] Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D, and E) is more than 1 month. Criterion G: [X] The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. Criterion H: [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition. Criterion I: Which stressor(s) contributed to the Veteran's PTSD diagnosis?: [X] Stressor #1 5. Symptoms ----------- For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: [X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety [X] Suspiciousness [X] Chronic sleep impairment [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood [X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence [X] Persistent delusions or hallucinations 6. Behavioral Observations -------------------------- The veteran was seen for 60 minutes. Her VBMS file and CPRS notes were reviewed prior to the interview. It was explained to the veteran that these exams are not full psychological evaluations, but rather evaluations for rating purposes that include questions and language dictated by the VARO. The limits of confidentiality were explained to her and she agreed to participate in the C&P evaluation. She was alert, fully oriented and cooperative. She was well groomed. Her reported mood was good, her affect was flat. Speech and thought content were within normal limits. Thought processes were logical and goal-directed. No evidence or report of delusions or hallucinations. Memory and attention appeared grossly intact. Insight and judgment were intact. The veteran denied current suicidal or homicidal ideation. 7. Other symptoms ----------------- Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, describe: manic and psychotic symptoms are managed at this time with risperidone (IM) 8. Competency ------------- Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No 9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any -------------------------------------------------- The veteran's bipolar disorder, when she is noncompliant with medications or using alcohol, has contributed to severe functional limitations, loss of custody of her children, loss of her home and inability to work. She is likely able to function in a work environment that is low in stress as long as she maintains medication compliance. There is no significant evidence of a military sexual trauma. Nevertheless, her PTSD symptoms are based upon trauma experienced both prior to and during the military. She has been in treatment for PTSD since 2013. Her bipolar disorder and alcohol use disorder, both of which have contributed to severe impairment in functioning, are not causally related to the PTSD. Her PTSD symptoms, when other disorders are managed, cause less impairment and have responded well to treatment. NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's application

Edited by Firewalker

Hey Buck. I appreciate you taking the time to read over it. Yh...I was infuriated after I read the exam....so much bullshit adlibbing and lies! She didnt even get any of the rape information correct either....there was no incident in Kentucky at all....the rape occurred in Virginia in May 1989....cops came and rape report was filed....and like I said...I was handcuffed and arrested ! then sent back to my permanent duty station at Ft. Hood where my NCO took pictures documenting how messed up I was and the doctors gave me painkillers and sent me home on medical leave for 2 weeks only to be shuffled around to other units afterward where the 2nd attempt was made and I fought him off ferociously and didnt bother reporting it because obviously at that point why...they did nothing the first time when I did report it ....oh yeah....arrested me!!!...the whole thing was a circus. That examiner is nuts....she says there are no markers and no evidence that it occurred(BS!!!) but then says I do have PTSD from stressor #1...the rape....huh? wth? make up your mind? 

Edited by Firewalker

• HadIt.com Elder

Firewalker

I don't understand why you was arrested at the rape scene you were the victim? 

if you were hysterical the cops should have called an ambulance and took the report from the hospital room after the Dr's examined, sometimes it best to restrain someone  to keep them from hurting them self or others  maybe why they handcuff you?

Was a rape exam given or what ever it is the Medical Team does in this situation? (evidence)....you need medical reports of everything and every detail of the event , even if you have medical evidence when you were a child  this does not go against you in a case like this, you were raped while on A.D. on duty  this should be documented and records will show as evidence the event did happen.

Police Reports will prove the event/rape happened.

As for as this C&P you can go to the C&P Chief at your VAMC and request another exam b/c you feel this examiner did not complete the exam and ignored some very important questions that would be pertinent to your claim..  also check this examiners credentials. you don't want a Foot Dr doing your exam.

Remember Medical Records are  our best friend in the claims process/buddy statements,  statements from fellow soldiers, NCO,company commander family ect,,ect,,the unit you were in should have records of the event/rape Military Hospital Records ect,,ect,,military service records. anything that  would pertain to this event is good evidence

your going to have to have rape markers to prove your case  and you do this with medical documentation & Dr's Rational (opinion) about the rape examination,dates.names  the whole 9 yards  

you need to PM ''Navy4life''  she will be able to help you and let you know what you need to do...she just won her MST/Claim with other contentions she had going and even a botch DRO Hearing she over came. After  years & years of a long waiting period/NOD's

And she would be happy to advise you. or read some of her post here on hadit.

Send her a PM she will see it and get back to you...if you get a denial   NOD that.

You may want to contact an experienced Veteran Attorney. (jmo)

Other member can chime in here

jmo

..................Buck

Edited by Buck52

33 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I don't understand why you was arrested at the rape scene?

if you were hysterical the cops should have called an ambulance and took the report from the hospital room after the Dr's examined you, and a rape exam given or what ever it is the Medical Team does in this situation....you need medical reports of everything and every detail of the event , even if you have medical evidence when you were a child  this does not go against you in a case like this, you were rape while on A.D. on duty  this should be documented and records will show as evidence the even did happen.

Police Reports will prove the event/rape happened.

As for as this C&P you can go to the C&P Chief at your VAMC and request another exam b/c you feel this examiner did not complete the exam and ignored some very important questions that would be pertinent to your claim..  also check this examiners credentials. you don't want a Foot Dr doing your exam.

Remember Medical Records are  our best friend in the claims process/buddy statements,  statements from fellow soldiers, NCO,company commander family ect,,ect,,the unit you were in should have records of the event/rape

your going to have to have rape markers to prove your case  and you do this with medical documentation.

you need to PM Navy4life  she will be able to help you and let you know what you need to do...she just won her MST/Claim.

And she would be happy to advise you. or read some of her post here on hadit.

Send her a PM she will see it and get back to you...if you get a denial   NOD that.

jmo

..................Buck

Good question Buck. I ask myself that alot. WHY was I arrested at the scene? FUBAR!!! Assault and Battery I believe. I was covered in blood......and the assailant was too....I fought for my LIFE! He was trying to kill me...That's what people never talk about with rape and I dont get it....my rape experience was extremely violent and rageful,......Granted he wasnt as messed up as I was, but I guess they just wanted to remove us from the scene in the barracks and then question us separately. When they arrived I definitely was not hysterical...I was totally depleted...couldnt even speak....utterly exhausted....could barely walk...they cuffed us both and took us away in 2 separate vehicles and I have no idea what happened after that. I dont remember going to the hospital or talking with the MP's or anything....I remember being sent back to Ft. Hood and what transpired later. At the time I was traveling in a performing show....Army Soldiers Show and we were going to many different bases up and down the east coast at the time. I believe I was in Ft. Belvoir, VA but Im not sure...some base in Virginia...I remember seeing boats...Anyway.....the assailant was a 'friend' and castmember of the show. The whole think was surreal...like a scene from a David Lynch film...Firewalk With Me...bizarre!

My disgust with this examiner is her repeated attempts at negating the event EVER EVEN HAPPENED!!!....  : The veteran reported that she was raped (see statement for details) and that it was reported during service. There were no records found in VBMS.   then  she does it again....  . There is no significant evidence of a military sexual trauma.  She then goes on to contradict herself....  Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military): a. Stressor #1: Rape in 1989 Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support the diagnosis of PTSD)? [X] Yes ... Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual trauma? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, please describe the markers that may substantiate the stressor. there are no markers of the assault ....infuriating!!

By definition...markers are the weakest form of evidence...like residuals.... Therefore, for PTSD claims relatedtoMST VA has relaxed the evidentiary requirements and looks for “markers” (i.e., signs, events, or circumstances) that provide some indication that the traumatic event happened. These include, but are not limited to: • Records from law enforcement authorities, rape crisis centers, mental health counseling centers, hospitals, or physicians • Pregnancy tests or tests for sexually transmitted diseases • Statements from family members, roommates, fellow Servicemembers, clergy members, or counselors • Requests for transfer to another military duty assignment • Deterioration in work performance • Substance abuse • Episodes of depression, panic attacks, or anxiety without an identifiable cause • Unexplained economic or social behavioral changes • Relationship issues, such as divorce • Sexual dysfunction

After reading her statements I really wanted to get a thick lead pipe and do to her what was done to me....then when I was finished with her I'd tell her it was all in her head...it never really happened....condascending _unt....she would have never survived 

Im so angry I have to stop....

Anyway, I did get a rating of 50% for PTSD/MST 10 days later despite this examiner's ineptitude. 

I really feel like she needs to be held accountable for all the horrible things she said and her assumptions and insinuations after skimming over my life. Disgusting POS

I filed my NOD 4 months after the decision and now my appeal is at the DRO's office awaiting a decision.

4 minutes ago, Firewalker said:

Good question Buck. I ask myself that alot. WHY was I arrested at the scene? FUBAR!!! Assault and Battery I believe. I was covered in blood......and the assailant was too....I fought for my LIFE! He was trying to kill me...That's what people never talk about with rape and I dont get it....my rape experience was extremely violent and rageful,......Granted he wasnt as messed up as I was, but I guess they just wanted to remove us from the scene in the barracks and then question us separately. When they arrived I definitely was not hysterical...I was totally depleted...couldnt even speak....utterly exhausted....could barely walk...they cuffed us both and took us away in 2 separate vehicles and I have no idea what happened after that. I dont remember going to the hospital or talking with the MP's or anything....I remember being sent back to Ft. Hood and what transpired later. At the time I was traveling in a performing show....Army Soldiers Show and we were going to many different bases up and down the east coast at the time. I believe I was in Ft. Belvoir, VA but Im not sure...some base in Virginia...I remember seeing boats...Anyway.....the assailant was a 'friend' and castmember of the show. The whole think was surreal...like a scene from a David Lynch film...Firewalk With Me...bizarre!

My disgust with this examiner is her repeated attempts at negating the event EVER EVEN HAPPENED!!!....  : The veteran reported that she was raped (see statement for details) and that it was reported during service. There were no records found in VBMS.   then  she does it again....  . There is no significant evidence of a military sexual trauma.  She then goes on to contradict herself....  Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military): a. Stressor #1: Rape in 1989 Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support the diagnosis of PTSD)? [X] Yes ... Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual trauma? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, please describe the markers that may substantiate the stressor. there are no markers of the assault ....infuriating!!

By definition...markers are the weakest form of evidence...like residuals.... Therefore, for PTSD claims relatedtoMST VA has relaxed the evidentiary requirements and looks for “markers” (i.e., signs, events, or circumstances) that provide some indication that the traumatic event happened. These include, but are not limited to: • Records from law enforcement authorities, rape crisis centers, mental health counseling centers, hospitals, or physicians • Pregnancy tests or tests for sexually transmitted diseases • Statements from family members, roommates, fellow Servicemembers, clergy members, or counselors • Requests for transfer to another military duty assignment • Deterioration in work performance • Substance abuse • Episodes of depression, panic attacks, or anxiety without an identifiable cause • Unexplained economic or social behavioral changes • Relationship issues, such as divorce • Sexual dysfunction

After reading her statements I really wanted to get a thick lead pipe and do to her what was done to me....then when I was finished with her I'd tell her it was all in her head...it never really happened....condascending _unt....she would have never survived 

Im so angry I have to stop....

Anyway, I did get a rating of 50% for PTSD/MST 10 days later despite this examiner's ineptitude. 

I really feel like she needs to be held accountable for all the horrible things she said and her assumptions and insinuations after skimming over my life. Disgusting POS

I filed my NOD 4 months after the decision and now my appeal is at the DRO's office awaiting a decision.

So you got service connected for it, that is good right?  I am totally confused now. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I apologize Firewalker

I Have to clarify my statements about about THE EVIDENCE  TO SHOW ON RECORDS

Most survivors are very unlikely to have any documentation showing that the sexual assault or harassment occurred. There is a significant stigma against reporting such assaults, and because assaults are often are not reported right away, the military has often taken no disciplinary action at all against those who perpetrated these assaults. This often means there is no record at all of what happened.

The VA understands this and does not require that service medical records contain proof of the assault or harassment.

Other forms of proof of the incident(s) that will be accepted include:

police records and/or records from rape crisis centers

pregnancy tests or tests for sexually transmitted diseases

statements from your friends in service, family members, counselors, or clergy, or

journals or diaries that you kept at the time of the trauma.

Proof of behavioral changes will also be accepted, such as:

documentation that you requested a transfer

evidence of a drug or alcohol problem

changes in job performance and/or changes in your social or economic behavior for which there is no other explanation

marital and/or sexual difficulties, or

incidents of depression or anxiety for which no other cause has been identified.

There's is no diagnoses for MST  VA says its an experience!

..............................Buck

2 minutes ago, seminoles said:

So you got service connected for it, that is good right?  I am totally confused now. 

Yes...last summer..None of this is good tho... I've lost everything since I started getting flashbacks in 2011...I have no quality of life anymore. I wish I would have never remembered any of this and I could have continued living the decent life I had managed to assemble....my home, my husband, my children, my work......all gone since spring 2013. Im glad that my intial DRO granted the decision in my favor but the decision is not accurate with the facts of my disability. I never saw this exam until a couple days ago though, that's why I posted it....her remarks are causing problems now with the appeal....all her contentions saying that my life is shit now due to alcoholism and bipolar and shitty childhood and everything and anything other than the rape. The issue is the severity of my functionality and why am I so dysfunctional. She didnt get that right either....I've been at 100% level since Aug 2012 by VA's PTSD functionality scales.. but she put me at this level in her report.....

[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed If yes, list which portion of the indicated level of occupational and social impairment is attributable to each diagnosis: Unspecified bipolar and related disorder causes occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity. Alcohol use disorder casues occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation. PTSD causes occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation.

_unt!!!!