VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam/ PTSD-MST

Rate this question

Firewalker

Question

. Other, if any: No response provided. 3. Stressors ------------ Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military): a. Stressor #1: Rape in 1989 Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support the diagnosis of PTSD)? [X] Yes [ ] No Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or terrorist activity? [ ] Yes [X] No If no, explain: not related to military conflict Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual trauma? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, please describe the markers that may substantiate the stressor. there are no markers of the assault 4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria --------------------------- Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criteria A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #7 - Other symptoms. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, referred to as Criteria A-H, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5). Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violation, in one or more of the following ways: [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s) Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred: [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following: [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., "I am bad,: "No one can be trusted,: "The world is completely dangerous,: "My whole nervous system is permanently ruined"). [X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others. Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation) typically expressed as verbal or physical aggression toward people or objects. [X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep). Criterion F: [X] Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D, and E) is more than 1 month. Criterion G: [X] The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. Criterion H: [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition. Criterion I: Which stressor(s) contributed to the Veteran's PTSD diagnosis?: [X] Stressor #1 5. Symptoms ----------- For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: [X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety [X] Suspiciousness [X] Chronic sleep impairment [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood [X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence [X] Persistent delusions or hallucinations 6. Behavioral Observations -------------------------- The veteran was seen for 60 minutes. Her VBMS file and CPRS notes were reviewed prior to the interview. It was explained to the veteran that these exams are not full psychological evaluations, but rather evaluations for rating purposes that include questions and language dictated by the VARO. The limits of confidentiality were explained to her and she agreed to participate in the C&P evaluation. She was alert, fully oriented and cooperative. She was well groomed. Her reported mood was good, her affect was flat. Speech and thought content were within normal limits. Thought processes were logical and goal-directed. No evidence or report of delusions or hallucinations. Memory and attention appeared grossly intact. Insight and judgment were intact. The veteran denied current suicidal or homicidal ideation. 7. Other symptoms ----------------- Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, describe: manic and psychotic symptoms are managed at this time with risperidone (IM) 8. Competency ------------- Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No 9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any -------------------------------------------------- The veteran's bipolar disorder, when she is noncompliant with medications or using alcohol, has contributed to severe functional limitations, loss of custody of her children, loss of her home and inability to work. She is likely able to function in a work environment that is low in stress as long as she maintains medication compliance. There is no significant evidence of a military sexual trauma. Nevertheless, her PTSD symptoms are based upon trauma experienced both prior to and during the military. She has been in treatment for PTSD since 2013. Her bipolar disorder and alcohol use disorder, both of which have contributed to severe impairment in functioning, are not causally related to the PTSD. Her PTSD symptoms, when other disorders are managed, cause less impairment and have responded well to treatment. NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's application

Edited by Firewalker

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I apologize Firewalker

I Have to clarify my statements about about THE EVIDENCE  TO SHOW ON RECORDS

Most survivors are very unlikely to have any documentation showing that the sexual assault or harassment occurred. There is a significant stigma against reporting such assaults, and because assaults are often are not reported right away, the military has often taken no disciplinary action at all against those who perpetrated these assaults. This often means there is no record at all of what happened.

The VA understands this and does not require that service medical records contain proof of the assault or harassment.

Other forms of proof of the incident(s) that will be accepted include:

police records and/or records from rape crisis centers

pregnancy tests or tests for sexually transmitted diseases

statements from your friends in service, family members, counselors, or clergy, or

journals or diaries that you kept at the time of the trauma.

Proof of behavioral changes will also be accepted, such as:

documentation that you requested a transfer

evidence of a drug or alcohol problem

changes in job performance and/or changes in your social or economic behavior for which there is no other explanation

marital and/or sexual difficulties, or

incidents of depression or anxiety for which no other cause has been identified.

There's is no diagnoses for MST  VA says its an experience!

..............................Buck

Hey Buck!!!  This is my experience.... 19 yrs old... 5'6....120 lbs... went from sweet country girl to this.......due to my experience....

• HadIt.com Elder

check out the ''Duty to Assist''  and also the VCAA.

If the VA & examiner failed to read your service records or any evidence from you  then they failed to Duty to Assist Rule.

10 hours ago, Firewalker said:

Yes...last summer..None of this is good tho... I've lost everything since I started getting flashbacks in 2011...I have no quality of life anymore. I wish I would have never remembered any of this and I could have continued living the decent life I had managed to assemble....my home, my husband, my children, my work......all gone since spring 2013. Im glad that my intial DRO granted the decision in my favor but the decision is not accurate with the facts of my disability. I never saw this exam until a couple days ago though, that's why I posted it....her remarks are causing problems now with the appeal....all her contentions saying that my life is shit now due to alcoholism and bipolar and shitty childhood and everything and anything other than the rape. The issue is the severity of my functionality and why am I so dysfunctional. She didnt get that right either....I've been at 100% level since Aug 2012 by VA's PTSD functionality scales.. but she put me at this level in her report.....

[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed If yes, list which portion of the indicated level of occupational and social impairment is attributable to each diagnosis: Unspecified bipolar and related disorder causes occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity. Alcohol use disorder casues occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation. PTSD causes occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation.

_unt!!!!

Now I understand, sorry that you are going through this :(

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a way to get over this  with your claim  first seek treatment get in a good treatment plan VA OR Private seeing  a therapist will help.

For help with your claim

I recommend a Good Experienced VA Attorney  John Dorle comes to my mind,or Recently VA Accredited  & Hadit elder member Alex Graham  aka (Asknod) & also check out the Nova Attorneys  web site at the bottom...seems to me the Attorneys can find lots of fault with the VA and your last C&P Exam/examiner.

https://vetadvocates.org/directory2.html

Edwin, you will get replies if you post any future questions by starting a new topic.This thread was started by another veteran.

Is the 10% for depression or anxiety or any MH disability?

The claim will be based on the documented medical evidence regarding the disability since 1986 and they will give you a C & P exam..

But the EED for retro if you succeed will be the date of the re-opened claim.

You will need that evidence to re open the claim,if the 10% was a SC MH issue, and even if it was not, and this is the first MH claim you are filing.. and will be same thing...EED to the date of the new claim