Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more


Hello everyone.. I have a comp and pen for PTSD in 2 weeks.. I have verified diagnoses from an LPC and 2 phyc PH.D.  Already took the MMPI2 it also confirmed diagnoses from what my Dr said. The question I have is why would the VA need another diagnoses from a VA phyc? This is strange to me.. Any advice would be great thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Because of the 2010 PTSD regulations, all claims filed  after July 2010 for PTSD require that a VA MH professional diagnose the veteran with PTSD.

If you have the PH, CIB, or the CAR on your DD 214 they VA will possibly concede the stressor you have.

It pays to make sure you can prove the stressor, even with any of those citations.

These regulations were to help OIF -OEF incountry veterans but also can help combat vets of any war...and they apply to non combat veterans as well ,if the JSRRC can verify their stressor.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0


You should go see your VAMC MH Dept   (ASAP)

Take your private Medical Records ..& tell the clerk you need to see a LCSW about your PTSD, He/She will do a PTSD Evaulation and you will see a Phd Dr  or Phyisitrist.

It may not work out like this  beings you don't have an appointment but you need to tell the clerk you need to see someone right away b/c of your PTSD  try to get in the clinic and show them your private records .....it maybe to late for this  if you only have 2 weeks before your PTSD C&P.

But you do need a diagnose of DSM5 PTSD from the VA.

If you can't get in to see them and they give you an appointment time, you have 2 choices...either try to get more time  for your C&P or go ahead and go to this one with your private PTSD Diagnose's , if your denied  then NOD the decision and get to that VA MH Appointment.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Quick Question,


Can i get a PTSD diagnosis from a non VA Doctor and if i do, is it accepted? I here a lot that is referenced that a VET see's a VA psyc if you have ptsd. Let me know your thoughts, reason being is, i have a issue with a Neuro Psych that i had seen that totally treated me bad in front of my VA HudVash Social worker who drove me to the appointment and was there for support. I am avoiding going to this Dr. who appears to be the only specialist in the local VAMC. I did see an outside Doc but it was via Choice program and they just did a quick assessment. I also visited a Neuro specialist via choice program who is not a neuro pscy but wrote that i needed CBT for PTSD.. .. Choice program is so mismanaged by the way.. you ask for PTSD help and get a Neurologist instead of Nuero Psyc specialist.. then back through VA... Then Choice program if you are an unfortunate one.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Due to the 2010 PTSD regulations (which all veterans, all vet reps, and all vet attorneys and  any concerned citizens had ample time to respond to  this proposed regulation  that I gave the link to here 6 years ago)

....the VA Requires a VA MH diagnosis from a VA MH professional, for all PTSD claims filed after that date, July 16, 2010

They will not accept any PTSD diagnosis from a Non VA shrink.

The Federal Register only had 600-800 responses, and only a few of us here tried to fight the MH criteria,which has made it easier by far for OEF vetereans but  very difficult for many non OEF vets.

However a veteran can also claim acquired psychiatric disorder,mood disorder, or anxiety,whether or not  they have a non VA diagnosis of any of these conditions and will get a C & P exam.

The VA will still need ample proof of the inservice nexus or cause of the disorder. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines