VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2nd PTSD C & P Exam/Advise Please

Rate this question

Gyrlwolf

Question

Currently 70% service connected for PTSD with Major Manic Depression (due to MST) since 2013. (Was rated 70% for PTSD & 10% for wrist injury) Recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder and PTSD symptoms have severely increased in past 8 months, so a new claim was filed for an increase for PTSD & to add the new Bipolar 2 diagnosis. Had my  C & P exam earlier this month and saw "total social and occupational impairment" listed in my chart C & P exam notes via MyHeathyvet. Ebenefits states my FDC should be complete between 11/11/16-12/21/16. And yes, I do currently work but it's become increasingly difficult.  I've been seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist regularly and they've both noted in my records several times that me working has been extremely difficult. But since I'm a nurse and they know I love to help others, they're both hoping I get 100% but am still allowed to work. Even if just part-time. Some days are better than others. Lately the memories have been extremely intrusive even during work hours so they encouraged me to file the increase for PTSD and try prolonged exposure treatment as well. I think since I'm only seeing VA doctors that's the reason my claim is moving so fast as currently it's in the "preparation for decision" phase & I just filed it 8/2016. They both feel the doctors missed my Bipolar diagnosis all those years while I was serving active duty and was seeing doctors for the depression in conjunction with the PTSD. They were like "We the doctors even looking at what they were documenting?! The symptoms were all there!" What rating/percentage increase if any do you think will happen now? Thanks in advance for any feedback and sorry for being so long winded. Just tried to give all info for the best feedback possible. Thanks again for any replies.  :) 

Edited by Gyrlwolf
Spelling error

@Buck52 Thank you for the kind words. I'm still shell shocked. Can't wait to get my official package and check out everything word per word. However when I go to EBenefits and print out my letters they do confirm everything. And I think my case is truly rare. And I'm so grateful. And my therapist is always telling me the same thing too. "You'll get better one day". And I hope she's right. PTSD is definitely something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. And it's 100% for the PTSD. Trust me I was staring at the screen over and over like "That's impossible!" But I guess not.....

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember when I got SMC S  my packet said I have more benefits  and educational Allowance was one of them, I can go back to school if I want,  but I can't I can't hear well enough and can't think clearly, I can't leave home for work  how would I leave home for school?

Computer Classes? VA gets word and they send me to a C&P to see if my disability has improved and ..reduced my benefits I get now.

It's all I can do to get to my VA Appointments!

so for some of us the Educational allowance benefit is useless.

So word of caution be careful if you go back to work or keep working.