• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pdiddy

Is 1151 the same as DIC Under 38 U.S.C. 1151

Question

Guest Pdiddy

Berta,

Is 1151 the same as DIC Under 38 U.S.C. 1151 ?  (that acronym needs to be changed-is means death is coming in medical terms)

May sound like a silly question but I have found semantics is everything when it comes to a claim.

Edited by Pdiddy
typo

P Diddy -

This question should be presented as a new topic....and not posted into someone else's thread...it will get more replies as a new topic or as posted in the 1151 forum. or DIC forum ,But maybe this helps:

1151 does not mean "death is coming"

An 1151 award can be for proven malpractice/ negligence they (VA)committed on a living vet,which  caused the vet an additional ratable disability (or 2 or 3)

One of my DIC Awards is for DIC under Section 38 USC 1151, meaning death by VA.The other 2 DIC awards ( I only get one check) are for 2 separate Agent Orange conditions they malpracticed on that contributed to my husband's death.My DIC is now directly due to service connected death.

DIC is a survivor's benefit explained in our DIC forum.

1151 claims are explained in detail in our 1151 forum here.

1151 DIC is also explained in those forums.

Edited by Berta

Ad

Guest Pdiddy

I'm sorry, I'm new and trying to find answers.  DIC in medical terms is death is coming.  It was in my husband's medical file that I had to go through to find out who messed up.   It's just hard to see that and not remember the mess in the hospital room. 

We want to give you the best answers too,....that is why I mentioned this should be a new topic.

I have never seen the DIC acronym as a medical  acronym for "death is coming."

I have seen it used for  Disseminated intravascular coagulation  (DIC) medically 

which  can cause clotting to the point of severe bleeding.

VA uses it to stand for Dependency and  Indemnity Compensation.

Do you feel the VA caused his death? Have you filed a formal DIC claim and/or a Section 1151 claim as well?

Did he have any claims pending when he died?

I am so sorry for your loss. My husband has been dead for 22 years and I still wish he could come home for dinner. He would be an active part of hadit too. But we have to somehow accept these losses.

Guest Pdiddy

You  are correct about the terminology.  Mine is hospital slang. 

Well, if you consider a botched liver transplant their fault, then yeah.  The DIC was exactly as your definition states.  There were vats of blood products on the floor - almost 13 gallons of blood product gone through in less than 8 hrs.  It has been just over 6 yrs and I'm still so angry at the VA and Vanderbilt MC that I can hardly see straight - through the tears also.

Yes he had a claim in but when I talked to Purple Heart they told me his claim dies with him.   It is just w/I the last year that I found out about filing a claim.  Not one person mentioned it.  Sorry, I'm just so bitter about the whole situation.

Yes, I filed a claim and after a year I got the standard letter that they need more info.  The more I read and do research, the more I realize how easy it will be for them to continue to deny everything.  It seems everything is predicated upon everything else.

Sorry ms berta I didn't catch this to move it to the DIC Forum, Ms T did  so its in DIC Forum now.