VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is 1151 the same as DIC Under 38 U.S.C. 1151

Guest Pdiddy

Question

Berta,

Is 1151 the same as DIC Under 38 U.S.C. 1151 ?  (that acronym needs to be changed-is means death is coming in medical terms)

May sound like a silly question but I have found semantics is everything when it comes to a claim.

Edited by Pdiddy
typo

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

P Diddy -

This question should be presented as a new topic....and not posted into someone else's thread...it will get more replies as a new topic or as posted in the 1151 forum. or DIC forum ,But maybe this helps:

1151 does not mean "death is coming"

An 1151 award can be for proven malpractice/ negligence they (VA)committed on a living vet,which  caused the vet an additional ratable disability (or 2 or 3)

One of my DIC Awards is for DIC under Section 38 USC 1151, meaning death by VA.The other 2 DIC awards ( I only get one check) are for 2 separate Agent Orange conditions they malpracticed on that contributed to my husband's death.My DIC is now directly due to service connected death.

DIC is a survivor's benefit explained in our DIC forum.

1151 claims are explained in detail in our 1151 forum here.

1151 DIC is also explained in those forums.

Edited by Berta

I'm sorry, I'm new and trying to find answers.  DIC in medical terms is death is coming.  It was in my husband's medical file that I had to go through to find out who messed up.   It's just hard to see that and not remember the mess in the hospital room. 

We want to give you the best answers too,....that is why I mentioned this should be a new topic.

I have never seen the DIC acronym as a medical  acronym for "death is coming."

I have seen it used for  Disseminated intravascular coagulation  (DIC) medically 

which  can cause clotting to the point of severe bleeding.

VA uses it to stand for Dependency and  Indemnity Compensation.

Do you feel the VA caused his death? Have you filed a formal DIC claim and/or a Section 1151 claim as well?

Did he have any claims pending when he died?

I am so sorry for your loss. My husband has been dead for 22 years and I still wish he could come home for dinner. He would be an active part of hadit too. But we have to somehow accept these losses.

You  are correct about the terminology.  Mine is hospital slang. 

Well, if you consider a botched liver transplant their fault, then yeah.  The DIC was exactly as your definition states.  There were vats of blood products on the floor - almost 13 gallons of blood product gone through in less than 8 hrs.  It has been just over 6 yrs and I'm still so angry at the VA and Vanderbilt MC that I can hardly see straight - through the tears also.

Yes he had a claim in but when I talked to Purple Heart they told me his claim dies with him.   It is just w/I the last year that I found out about filing a claim.  Not one person mentioned it.  Sorry, I'm just so bitter about the whole situation.

Yes, I filed a claim and after a year I got the standard letter that they need more info.  The more I read and do research, the more I realize how easy it will be for them to continue to deny everything.  It seems everything is predicated upon everything else.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry ms berta I didn't catch this to move it to the DIC Forum, Ms T did  so its in DIC Forum now.

You mean for filed the formal 21-534 form.... did you also state on the form or a separate page that you were also filing for DIC under Section 1151, 38 USC?

What was the veteran service connected for in his lifetime (and the ratings)

What was the Primary cause and secondary contributing cause of death?

Was an autopsy done?

I am assuming his VA care came from this VAMC?

http://www.vicc.org/dd/loca/results.php?name=nashville:-veterans-affairs-medical-center

Was he ever treated at their university -connected psychiatric site?

(Part of the Nashville VAMC is affiliated with a university…sounds like many interns and students , instead of a full medical staff…that can be problematric for some 1151 issues)

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/psychiatry/nashville-veterans-affairs-medical-center-nvamc

You will need copies of ALL of his VA medical records.Do not tell them why.You can request them from his VAMC.

Search them for any Incident reports that VA might have put into the record.

If the incident reports help that is good but, in my case, they did do an incident report but blamed me and the USPS for a major pharmacy meds by mail error. It didnt work. They almost killed another vet up here in the hills, because they sent my husband his meds by mistake and kept telling him he had already gotten them. Any elderly person on HBP meds cannot do without them.The VA let him go without them for almost 3 weeks until I raised hell with them. He could have had a fatal stroke. Their error however was the dosage my husband should have been on for 6 years.

Why do you feel that the VA might have caused your husband's  death?

Are you willing to obtain an Independent Medical opinion, once you get his medical records, to get a real doctor to carefully go over them to see if, in fact, the VA caused his death? That can be costly but I assure you they will fight any wrongful death claim very aggressively.

You mentioned a dumb, lazy assed PH Vet rep...what he said infuriates me.

Did they represent your husband for any past claims?

Did he have a PH? A PH due to GSW could certainly cause or contribute to vascular problems, depending on when and where the GSW ocurred.

If he had a Purple Heart, what was the VA rating for it?

Others will help here, but there is a lot to this type of DIC claim.