VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ben Krause good info on BVA

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://www.disabledveterans.org/2016/10/27/board-veterans-forum-library-goldmine/

There is a lot here to devour.......what caught my eye is a potential pilot program of BVA LJs assessing appeals that are about 5 years old, but assessing them at the RO level prior to transfer...at least I think that is what Ben means...I will check with him.

This is where the backlog begins....at the RO level. I have been saying for a few years now that it would be Wonderful if the BVA had satellite lawyers at every RO to make sure these claims that are set for BVA transfer, should be worked on more at the RO level, thereby potentially stopping the need for endless remands...which are often re-dos of what the RO should have done in the first place.

If all the BVA did was to prepare the I-8,at the ROs , that too would immediately show them if something still needs to be done at the RO level.A blank I-8 is here somewhere. It is a check list, did VA do this, or that etc etc and some RO lacky sits there checking off Yes when the answer might well be No

I also think there should be some sort of digitalized system that when a rater makes an error that causes more problems for the claimant, specifically if they fail to consider probative evidence, that too could be caught to the RO level by any paralegal or BVA attorney,since the decisions contain a code that can identify each rater, they should be canned if they make too many mistakes.VA certainly is able find out who they are. That too would help eliminate the backlog which the ROs caused, not the BVA nor veterans.

Also with perhaps a BVA lawyer- even one- checking into appeals at the RO levels before a formal transfer to BVA, maybe that fact alone would inspire our vet reps to do a better job right from the git go...............

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think they need to hire some people with a little bit of common sense and can READ.

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I think they need to hire some people with a little bit of common sense and can READ.

Okkkkkkkk!!! Got That Right! And compassionate, thorough and vet-friendly. Maybe in the next life perhaps!