• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

SPO

Diagnosis change

Question

So I have plenty of questions trying to get this straightened out.  My original diagnosis from the VA was Dermititis (the decision letter says   "minimal erythematous slightly scaly patches (claimed as skin condition)"  Since being out of the military it has been officially biopsied and diagnosed as Psoriasis. I filed and claim and I am going in for a new C&P for increase.  Should or will they adjust these conditions on my claim.  They both have the same rating criteria.  However I want to file for a secondary condition of Psoriatic arthritis eventually.  Is this going to be a problem with previous compensation and the increase.  My current medical records don't reflect the same condition as the decision letter.

SPO , is the diagnostic code the same for the newer diagnosis?

Ad

I've notice that in some cases the diagnoses can be different & some have there own diagnoses, in other words they can use the same diagnose codes for other disability's

yeah, they can determine an analogous code.

This involves CUE Buck , this vet needs help, but his CUE is good.

A Cue can occur if the VA uses the wrong diagnostic code to a veteran's detriment but I think this change of diagnosis might involve the same  analogous disability they rated in the decision he is cueing, and then it might be OK, the way the CUE stands.

More input from others is needed here.

The code is different. The one I was awarded is 7806 and the new diagnosis would be 7816.  However, in the decision letter they noted a history of psoriasis(7816).  The increase claim suggested a Dbq for 7806, but my doc will only do 7816 because that's the proper diagnosis.  They both fall on the skin diseases dbq.  These 2 conditions are commonly confused.

Edited by SPO

I kind of dont see it that way.   The reason is Roberson.  It is not the Veteran's job to identify the diagnostic code, nor is the Veteran competent to self diagnose his own maladies.  

According to Roberson, the VA has a duty to maximize the Veterans claim.  They have to assume he is seeking the maximum benefit allowable by law.  

There are 3 criteria involved for a claim.  

1.  The claim has to be IN Writing.  

2.  The claimant must identify that he is seeking BENEFITS, not just treatment.  

3.  The claimant mus "identify the benefit sought."   

The courts have been liberal at allowing the Veteran much lattitude in "identifying the benefit sought".  Veterans come in all education levels.  Some are not always literate in the English language, and many, if not most do not have a background in medical terminology.  Very few are doctors capable of diagnosing illnesses.  

You dont need a precise diagnosis and diagnostic code to get benefits.  You can simply point to the part that hurts:  "I want to appy for benefits for my knee, it hurts" should suffice.  You dont have to know if its arthritis/bursitis, a fracture, a compound fracture, and, you dont need to know whether its the tibia/fibula fracture or joint, or if its the patello/tibia joint that is the problem.   To get benefits, you need only "identify the benefit sought" by stating you hurt your knee jumping out of airplanes, and that made the other knee hurt, also.  

Yes, I know the VA tries to get away with this.  Especially if the Veteran applies for patello/tibia arthritis, when the doctor actually diagnoses bursitis of the tibia/fibia joint.  

The Veteran is simply not required to identify "tibia patello" or the name of the joint of the benefit sought.  Instead, the VA is required to assist the Veteran, and if his diagnosis was inaccurate, and a doctor corrected him, the VA is not supposed to make the Vet start all over.  It happens anyway.  

The bottom line is you appeal the denial.  Here is a case on Roberson (also Servello) :

http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/files2/1014708.txt'

The term "claim" or "application" means a formal or informal 
communication in writing requesting a determination of 
entitlement or evidencing a belief of entitlement, to a 
benefit.  38 C.F.R. § 3.1(p).  "Date of receipt" generally 
means the date on which a claim, information or evidence was 
received by VA.  38 C.F.R. § 3.1(r).  

An informal claim is any communication or action, indicating 
an intent to apply for one or more benefits under the laws 
administered by VA, from a claimant, his or her duly 
authorized representative, a Member of Congress, or some 
person acting as next friend of a claimant who is not sui 
juris may be considered an informal claim.  Such informal 
claim must identify the benefit sought.  38 C.F.R. § 
3.155(a).

VA is required to look to all communications from the 
appellant which may be interpreted as applications or claims, 
formal and informal, for benefits.  In particular, VA is 
required to identify and act on informal claims for benefits.  
38 U.S.C.A. § 5110(b)(3); 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.1(p), 3.155(a); See 
Servello v. Derwinski, 3 Vet. App. 196 (1992).  All that is 
required is that the communication indicates an intent to 
apply for one or more benefits under the laws administered by 
the Department, and identify the benefits sought.  Rodriguez 
v. West, 189 F.3d 1351 (1999).  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Our picks

• Sleep apnea- does the DBQ cover the "medically necessary/required" language?
      Hey everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is regarding the sleep apnea language that specifies that a prescription of a breathing assistance device is "medically necessary" for a 50% rating:

Assuming that a vet is already prescribed a CPAP/APAP by the VA, does the sleep apnea DBQ portion under 2B "IS CONTINUOUS MEDICATION REQUIRED FOR CONTROL OF A SLEEP DISORDER CONDITION?" fulfill that language requirement?
      • 27 replies
    • VBA testimony and GAO report-C & P examiners
      As you all know, C & P exam results control almost all types of claims. VA employees have no choice but to go along with a negative C & P exam that will deny a claim. Some vets are quite willing to rebutt faulty exams and ask for a new C & P exam. For others, it will take a costly IMO/IME in most cases. Ben Krause has this article at his site today: http://tinyurl.com/y9co6zac
      • 9 replies
    • Lumbosacral Strain and Vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia
      Hi.  I have a couple questions and welcome all recommendations for my disability claim.  I am currently 10% disabled for lumbosacral strain and deferred decision for this and vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I had a MRI February 2018 and results include moderate compression fracture of L1, mild to moderate compression fracture of L2, moderate to severe compression fracture of L3, mild compression fracture of T11.  Additionally, L3 moderate spinal canal stenosis, L2 mild to moderate retropulsion with mild spinal canal stenosis, multilevel degenerative changes, multilevel disc bulges, disc herniations, L1-L2 mild broad-based disc bulge with mild spinal canal stenosis, L2-L3 mild broad based disc bulge with mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis,  L3-L4 mild to moderate broad based disc bulge and severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.   I have read that these malfunctions should have been claimed individually.  Will the VA evaluate/rate each condition separately?  If not, I may have to appeal or submit a new claim.  What are some thoughts and suggestions.  Do these disabilities belong in the lumbosacral strain or the vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I am totally in the dark on this stuff.  I am pretty sure no diagnosis codes have been assigned.  What can I do to support my claim?  HELP!!!!!
      • 2 replies
    • Ignore Members Who Annoy You - How To
      How To Ignore Members Who Annoy You

I'd love it if we all got along, no one had a bad day and everyone respected each other however, living in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

If you find a member adds no value to your knowledge on a topic hover over their name and then choose Ignore User. You cannot ignore moderators and admins but you can ignore others.

Thousands of veterans have come here for over 20 years to find answers and support. I wish we could help each and every veteran, but some we cannot. Sometimes folks just rub each other the wrong way and that is where the Ignore User feature comes in. Ignore the user and move on...
      • 1 reply

I'd love it if we all got along, no one had a bad day and everyone respected each other however, living in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

If you find a member adds no value to your knowledge on a topic hover over their name and then choose Ignore User. You cannot ignore moderators and admins but you can ignore others.

Thousands of veterans have come here for over 20 years to find answers and support. I wish we could help each and every veteran, but some we cannot. Sometimes folks just rub each other the wrong way and that is where the Ignore User feature comes in. Ignore the user and move on...
      • 1 reply
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• Sleep apnea- does the DBQ cover the "medically necessary/required" language?
      Hey everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is regarding the sleep apnea language that specifies that a prescription of a breathing assistance device is "medically necessary" for a 50% rating:

Assuming that a vet is already prescribed a CPAP/APAP by the VA, does the sleep apnea DBQ portion under 2B "IS CONTINUOUS MEDICATION REQUIRED FOR CONTROL OF A SLEEP DISORDER CONDITION?" fulfill that language requirement?
      • 27 replies
    • VBA testimony and GAO report-C & P examiners
      As you all know, C & P exam results control almost all types of claims. VA employees have no choice but to go along with a negative C & P exam that will deny a claim. Some vets are quite willing to rebutt faulty exams and ask for a new C & P exam. For others, it will take a costly IMO/IME in most cases. Ben Krause has this article at his site today: http://tinyurl.com/y9co6zac
      • 9 replies
    • Lumbosacral Strain and Vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia
      Hi.  I have a couple questions and welcome all recommendations for my disability claim.  I am currently 10% disabled for lumbosacral strain and deferred decision for this and vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I had a MRI February 2018 and results include moderate compression fracture of L1, mild to moderate compression fracture of L2, moderate to severe compression fracture of L3, mild compression fracture of T11.  Additionally, L3 moderate spinal canal stenosis, L2 mild to moderate retropulsion with mild spinal canal stenosis, multilevel degenerative changes, multilevel disc bulges, disc herniations, L1-L2 mild broad-based disc bulge with mild spinal canal stenosis, L2-L3 mild broad based disc bulge with mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis,  L3-L4 mild to moderate broad based disc bulge and severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.   I have read that these malfunctions should have been claimed individually.  Will the VA evaluate/rate each condition separately?  If not, I may have to appeal or submit a new claim.  What are some thoughts and suggestions.  Do these disabilities belong in the lumbosacral strain or the vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I am totally in the dark on this stuff.  I am pretty sure no diagnosis codes have been assigned.  What can I do to support my claim?  HELP!!!!!
      • 2 replies

• 1 reply

• 1 reply
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines