VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DIY bdd

Rate this question

RetiringArmy

Question

Hello,

I dropped my retirement paperwork yesterday with a terminal leave date of 3 January. It felt great btw. Normally a soldier in my area goes thru fort Knox and the dva rep there. My appointment with the dva rep is for 30 Nov and he said the va physical probably won't happen until 8 weeks after that. I will be starting a new job in Ohio and really hate the thought of trying to take time off to drive back down to Louisville after I am out. this is the bbd program.

Would you guys still go with this bbd program via fort Knox or just do it myself via ebenefits and use the va in Ohio? The benefit to going to Louisville is that the va doc will be used to working with retiring/separating soldiers. I heard the doctor who does your physical makes all the difference in the world. Some guy said you could walk in missing a leg and the doc might say "well you can walk, your not disabled"

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

"I heard the doctor who does your physical makes all the difference in the world."

So true! I am a civilian but I think others would agree =to go to the doctor who is used to Sep physicals for retirees.

I assume this is your formal separation physical and it will follow you throughout the future regarding many of your claims,so it needs to be done right.

Maybe others here have had a good experience with Ft. Knox docs , but what you heard applies to C & P doctors to, after claims are formally filed and reckless C & P results have denied thousands of vets over the years, also denied at first many of my claims as a surviving spouse, and often only an independent medical opinion can overcome a lousy C & P exam...just about everyone here knows what I mean.

I thank you for your service ! And suggest that you make sure you leave the Mil with a complete copy of your SMRs, go to all of the briefing you can get to, and also get some contact info from your buddys in your unit.

You probably will not ever need them to provide you with a buddy statement, but it pays to have some contact info if you ever need to prove a nexus to a disability- which a good thorough Separation physical will hopefully alleviate.

Before I forget-------any VA awards of SC compensation are deducted from your retirement pay unless you qualify for CRDP or CRSC,which I am sure you know from the DAV briefings. We have extensive info here on these programs such as :

http://community.hadit.com/topic/52740-bdd-process/?page=1

http://community.hadit.com/topic/37025-introducing-myself/?page=2

And there is more under a search. CRDP is automatic but CRSC must be applied for.

I hope those links above have the rate charts...if not I will find them and post them.

Yea..since you made it here on that wooden leg Uncle Sam provided for you, obviously you dont need VA benefits, right?   You seem to be getting around in that scooter just fine.   (VA actually does this when Vets show up for a "housebound" exam...they deny housebound based on the Veteran showing up for the exam...of course they also deny if you fail to show up for an exam)  See this:

https://asknod.org/2014/08/25/cavc-howell-v-nicholson-what-smc-s-really-says/

I hope you are not whining about some problems about your missing leg.  You know, phantom pain, and the like.  Suck it up soldier!  Others have it worse than you!  

Dont listen to them.  They will try to talk you out of your VA benefits, probably your wife, too, if they think they can.  

MAKE DAMNED SURE that any and all injuries and ailments you currently suffer from are documented on your current problems list on your exit physical.  If you sustained a back injury 10 years ago and it still bothers you AT ALL you let them know. and make sure its on the list.  Even if you think its not due to service,   Dandruff, rashes, acne, itchy testicles, atheletes foot, heartburn, ringing ears, poor sleep, aching joints, dry skin, hemmeroids,  hernia, hypolipydemia,  headaches, ect   I dont give a rats ass, you list it. TRUST ME, ITS IMPORTANT.

your exit physical is not the time to be  BADASS , TOUGH GUY. !!!   lay your burden down on that doctor.

Guard your service treatment records like they are gold.. Took me 30 years plus for service connection because while out processing the out processing unit lost my medical records and refused to give me an exit exam because of the missing records...