VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Opinions Associates, Inc.

Rate this question

smoothc100

Question

Has anyone used Medical Opinions Associates, Inc. for an IMO?  If so what was your experience and the fees.  I'm trying to obtain an IMO for my sleep apnea.  The current company I was dealing with has been nonresponsive as of late.

On 1/15/2017 at 4:14 PM, Palma114 said:

Decision by the BVA (Docket No. 11-09 193, Feb 28, 2014) the BVA granted service connection for Obstructive sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.

Another Board decision (Docket No. 11-01922, Mar 28, 2016) Obstructive sleep apnea granted service connection to PTSD.

Tell that to Judge Kramer.

I couldnt find those awards but found this one:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files5/1638237.txt

In part:

(Of course the C & P went against the claim but the IMO/IME doctor gave an outstanding medical rationale)

“In contrast, a private independent medical opinion dated in July 2016 reveals that a private physician provided the opinion that after reviewing the Veteran's claims file and the pertinent recent medical literature, it is more likely than not that the Veteran's sleep apnea is secondary to his service-connected PTSD.  He noted that 47.6 percent of combat veterans with PTSD were found to have obstructive sleep apnea compared to only 12.5 percent of healthy controls.  The physician discussed an article that talked about a recent study conducted by scientists at the Madigan Army Medical Center noting that they observed sleep disturbances were increasing in frequency and are commonly diagnosed during deployment and when military personnel return from deployment.  Recent evidence suggests the increased incidence of sleep disturbances in redeployed military personnel is potentially related to PTSD, depression, anxiety, or traumatic brain injury.  The physician also noted that there is a growing body of evidence that suggests that disturbed sleep is more likely to be a core feature of PTSD and hypoxia, sympathetic discharge from respiratory disturbances, dysfunctional REM sleep, and abnormal REM mechanism have been proposed as a mechanism for sleep apnea in PTSD patients.  The Board finds that this medical opinion is persuasive and probative as to the issue of whether the Veteran's obstructive sleep apnea was caused by the Veteran's PTSD, as the examiner provided a clear explanation based on a review of the Veteran's claims file and recent medical literature. “

“ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for obstructive sleep apnea is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for hypertension is granted.”

The claim was also remanded for a potential higher PTSD rating.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use