VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compensation claim

Rate this question

Michael Enriquez

Question

Due to my being prescribed NSAIDS for pain and inflammation my kidneys were damaged and I was put on a  assortment of medications to treat this condition. I will have it for the rest of my life. Now, due to the medications I was prescribed (steroids) I am now a diabetic and that is a incurable disease. I have it in the Doctor's notes stating that the cause of these two complications are due to the prescribing of these medications for treating these conditions. My question is where would I go to word these right when I submit a claim and do I submit as a secondary or how do I do it? I am in Colorado and I have a VSO and while he is a nice guy, I don't think he has enough knowledge and aggressiveness to pursue a claim like this for me. I would appreciate any help. Thank You.

I would claim the GERD (you will get a C & P)  if you still have GERD symptoms.

And state the GERD is due to years of VA prescribed NSAIDS.

But it sounds like you improved when the Doc switched to Tylenol because the NSAIDS caused HBP...    there might be no residual to rate ,as to the GERD ....

.interesting...'Doc switched to Tylenol because the NSAIDS caused HBP.'.......

because the 'Standard and Usual Medical Community' a legal term I advise FTCA and 1151ers to use,(it means the world of real doctors.)...the community of US  real doctors knew the nexus between GERD and NSAIDS long before the VA finally recognized it.

If you dont have ratable GERD problems now, I am not sure if you should file this type of claim.Then again even a SC "0" is better than NSC" 0" if the GERD causes  further problems down the line.

Gee- I read this first post too fast....

Michael what is the type of kidney damage you have ? And since that is the direct result of the NSAIDS, as I understand this, the kidney damage should definitely be claimed as well.

Sorry- I focused on the GERD until I realized I better re-read your post.

Berta, 

The GERD ran rampant until I started using my Cpap after being DXd with SA.  I had taken the NSAIDs for 15 plus years before being taken off due to the hypertension. I think the dr said the NSAIDs add 10-15 points to your bp rate.

I still have gerd issues, so I think I will follow your sage advice and file that claim.

I have submitted a claim for the diabetes mellitis that I now have due to the steroid prescription. In my submission the treating drs,  wrote that the diabetes is likely due to the steroid use. my question is I was asked if the steroids were for service connected or due to being prescribed to treat a condition. I was given steroids for both. I was wondering if anybody knows if granted what percentage I would be looking at?

When you get a C & P exam, hopefully you will be able to get the results fairly soon if the C & P is done at a VAMC. (You can formally request a copy from their privacy officer or send them a letter).

That would help understand how they might rate this. Also if you go to the VA Schedule of Ratings here , halfway down the link scroll are the diagnostic codes and rating criteria for all disabilities.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files2/0607653.txt

An odd case but nevertheless it shows they will conpensate for DMII if caused by steroids from the VA.