VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survivors- a Must read

Berta

Question

If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria.

Many years ago I tried to find a widow’s past  posts here, as she had returned to hadit with more questions on her DIC claim..

I googled -DIC Berta hadit and her name- and many links popped up, some from VBN (YUKU) where a widow has complained at YUKU that she got no help from me because I asked her too many questions at hadit.

Fortunately some VBN members advised her that I understand DIC in and out and I asked probably the same questions any VSO or vet rep would. And maybe  asked some the vet reps didn’t even think of.

DIC can become a very complex issue , and only by asking questions  ,can we possibly direct any survivor as to what they should do.

By “we” I mean others here as well as me  because all vets with a spouse need to get up to speed on DIC.

Others will get a chance , with the  two issues on the board today One is DIC,  and one might become DIC at some point but that vet is still alive.

Many DIC claims fall under 100% SC P & T for ten continuous years.....easy to succeed in

A few are Section 1151 death issues. Difficult but not impossible to win.

The rest usually involve proving that a SC disability caused or contributed significantly to death,....not impossible but difficult too sometimes.

And if the DIC claims are not based on the ten year DIC regs, the survivor may also definitely need a strong IMO.

I moved your Tuesday reply  It didnt show up in the recent posts-

Did your husband fall into the criteria here for Agent Orange exposure regarding Airmen and C 123s?

In part:

"Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange through Duty on Contaminated C-123 Aircraft

In response to the Institute of Medicine’s report on Post-Vietnam Dioxin Exposure in Agent Orange-Contaminated C-123 Aircraft from the National Academy of Sciences, we have determined there is evidence of exposure to Agent Orange for Airmen who worked on C-123s that were used in Vietnam as part of Operation Ranch Hand. Specifically, we have determined there is sufficient evidence that Air Force and Air Force Reserve members who served during the period 1969 through 1986 and regularly and repeatedly operated, maintained, or served onboard C-123 aircraft (known to have been used to spray an herbicide agent during the Vietnam era) were exposed to Agent Orange."

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/agentorange-c123.asp

"I BELIEVE IT IS HERBICIDE EXPOSURE"

Can you clarify that as to what disability he was service connected for and the award letter will tell if his exposre to AO had already been confirmed to AO by the VA,

• Bonbon
  • Seaman
  • 3 posts

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

CANCER

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Metasticised liver cancer

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

NONE

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

I BELIEVE IT IS HERBICIDE EXPOSURE

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

NONE

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

Flight line, to include Castle AFB, an EPA Superfund site. 1958 - 1982

I deleted the double post-

"I BELIEVE IT IS HERBICIDE EXPOSURE"

Can you tell us what he was service connected for ? And the ratings for each?

Was any award for exposure to herbicides?

Have you filed for DIC yet?

Bumping this up-

We get some very difficult claims from widows, 

we also get claims that the widows have made difficult because they do not read the regulations in this forum as to how to obtain DIC.

We ask the same questions any good VSO or vet lawyer would ask-and often those critical questions go unanswered.

Also if a widow or vet starts to ask questions under different threads, and topics -it does not help at all for us to try to help them.I hate having to search for their older posts to see what their issues actually are-itis time consuming.

Someone here years ago thought there were different people in each forum.They asked the same question in multiple forums -thinking they would find an answer they liked.

We are all the same hadit people in the forums-they didnt like any of our answers.

bumping it up- I asked a widow , via a third party, to join about a month ago-so far she hasn't.

DIC and accrued claims for anyone out there preparing to be a vet rep or  agent- are far too involved to help with by email or by  phone....Unless you have a lot of Free time.

The most important part is when the veterans die! Always check the box that says the veteran died from condition while serving making the VA make the decision ASAP or widower will have to spend time fighting! Place the burden on the VA!  This form is filled out on a military base or at the V A office! Check yes!!!!!

Mr.B- inservice deaths are handled differently than the DIC claims we see here. And they do go much faster.

I have never seen any DIC claim for inservice death at the BVA.

Someone from our older radio show gave a widow call -in my email addy and she was claiming inservice death for DIC.

Her husband died while in prison for stealing money from the US Army. He had a Dishonorable Discharge.

Maybe she did appeal the denial of DIC to the BVA, but the DIC regulations would cause BVA to deny as well.

Our small village in NY had an enormous funeral for one of our village  service members, who died in Iraq due to IED explosion, quite a few years ago.

It was around the time that some crazy church people were protesting funerals of inservice deaths all over America. There were almost a hundred Patriot riders on motorcycles joining the funeral procession.And many hundreds of people lined the procession streets to honor her, in the small farm community I live in.

DOD immediately paid the family the $250.000 inservice insurance policy but the deceased veteran, a young woman, had no surviving spouse or children. 

If there had been survivors, the VA would have quickly handled their DIC claims.

My neighbor, a widow, lost her husband in service, long ago, and told me that VA handled her DIC right away.

Also my daughter, a veteran, was in Harms way, at least twice that I know of.She would give me the DEROS, the country;s name, and then tell me if anything happens to her that  the state department would call me.

If she had died, the state department would have informed me of what I had to do, as her next of kin.

If you have some new information on what you posted, please give a link for it.

This is the new DIC form ( as of 2018)

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21P-534-ARE.pdf

I do not even see where,on it, the check box would be for "Yes." If you look at # 12 on the form, it indicates how diffeent an inservice death is.

The VA does not need a copy of the death cert attached because this is already of record with the DOD.