VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survivors- a Must read

Berta

Question

If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria.

Many years ago I tried to find a widow’s past  posts here, as she had returned to hadit with more questions on her DIC claim..

I googled -DIC Berta hadit and her name- and many links popped up, some from VBN (YUKU) where a widow has complained at YUKU that she got no help from me because I asked her too many questions at hadit.

Fortunately some VBN members advised her that I understand DIC in and out and I asked probably the same questions any VSO or vet rep would. And maybe  asked some the vet reps didn’t even think of.

DIC can become a very complex issue , and only by asking questions  ,can we possibly direct any survivor as to what they should do.

By “we” I mean others here as well as me  because all vets with a spouse need to get up to speed on DIC.

Others will get a chance , with the  two issues on the board today One is DIC,  and one might become DIC at some point but that vet is still alive.

Many DIC claims fall under 100% SC P & T for ten continuous years.....easy to succeed in

A few are Section 1151 death issues. Difficult but not impossible to win.

The rest usually involve proving that a SC disability caused or contributed significantly to death,....not impossible but difficult too sometimes.

And if the DIC claims are not based on the ten year DIC regs, the survivor may also definitely need a strong IMO.

Bumping this all up again.

DIC can be a Very complex issue.

Make sure your spouse is up to speed on the PC and can gethere under your password if the time comes that they need DIC help.

And make sure they understand your SC diabilities too.

Plenty of DIC claims get denied -so if you have VA life insurance or any private life insurance make sure the wife knows they might need some of the insurance proceeds to pay for a strong IMO , if needed.

I some of the BVA DIC denials, it appeared that the surviving spouse did nothing effective to support their claim and unless a ten year continuous 100% P & T, at death, those claims might never succeed.