VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD for Denial of payment of Emergency Room BIll

Rate this question

amydionne33

Question

I just got a bill for 8k because the va denied paying the visit they actually gave me two reasons for denial because the bills were delegated one being the physicians bill and than the actual emergency room bill. The reason for denial of the 400.00 bill the physician was that it wasn't an emergency, the 8330 bill denial was because they said there was veteran services available at the time. I was actually told to go to the er because they couldn't see me at the local clinic. So how do I get or process this correctly I have no money to pay this kind of bill and it's going to ruin my credit. No one at fee basis will return my calls, called patient advocate, asked my doctor and finally I got this form in the mail. Is this something I am wasting my time with? Do they ever reconsider payment of er bills? 

Thanks in advance 

Amy 

Amy,

Do you have a Myhealthevet accout? IF so, log on and see if there are notes from that day they told you to go to the ER.  Hopefully that's in there.  I know they log when they call me for any reason, on my account.  If that is in yours, then you download and print out, take it to your local VAMC and talk to patient services, show them where the VA directed you to your local ER.  You were just doing what the VA told you to do.  You should not owe one red cent for this, at all.

Andy

I have had that problem. Some times the Hospitals don't want to wait for payment from the VA so they try and gaff you. Other times the non-va fee coordinaor is a no show. I kept leaving voice mail to the fee coordinator and then she completely shut down her mail box. I sent Bob (VA Sec.) the hospital bill and told him to try and call his fee coordinator. Three days later I got a call from the fee coordinator and the hospital telling me the bill was paid.

Another ER visit to the same hospital and they sent me a 10,000 dollar bill (not evveryone gets the word). I just ignored it till a collection company called me. I told her unless she wanted to be a party to fraud and testify in Federal Court that she contact the hospital and tell them to contact the non-va fee coordinator. Again the bill was paid. We shouldn't have to go through this. Sorry it happened to you. Thank you for your service!

Andyman73

There are no comments in my record, it was some random nurse that came out and said my doctor was on leave and that they inly see patients normally after two pm on Thursdays. I asked her well what am I suppose to do, and she replied you can go to the the E.R. or drive to Lake Nona which is about 1.5 hours away. I can't even get a call in person from fee basis or patient advocate. The patient advocate just simply sent me this firm to fill out to contest the denial of services. And don't you know I secure messaged my doctor the other day about the same problem that i went to the ER for and the nurse responded as they always do stating that I could always go to the ER or drive to lake Nona and this was during their hours of operation.

Gator Navy,

Yah can I pay you for your help your emotionally a lot stronger than I and I have virtually tried to call fee basis 5 times only once could i leave a voicemail. Than i was told they moved from lake Baldwin to Lake Nona but get this the operator didn't have the new number for fee-basis. All the people I have tried to call to get in touch with this darn department have been useless. Obviously the patient advocate at Lake Baldwin next called me back, and the patient care advocate could only offer me a form to fill out and send out back to fee basis in Orlando. Mind you I have agoraphobia, sever anxiety, and they are doing nothing i mean nothing to help me. I don't even know how to write whats needed for a NOD to be complete. 

Ill pay for someones help I emotionally can't handle this in addition to other things that are going on in my life.

Edited by amydionne33

Amy, 

Man, that just throws my whole line of thought right out the window! Hmmm, wait, I got it! I think...okay let's go at it from a different angle.

You can try the contact us option on VA.gov website. It brings up the IRIS, which is the VAs electronic info and question request program. I would say to use the complaint option. 

There will be several drop down options, chose the one the best describes your type of issue. Ya I know, choices are pretty limited. The complaint option goes right to an upper level supervisor or manager type person. 

Exlplain your situation as best as you can, start with the medical issue that you were experiencing that day. Tell about your exchange with the worker that said to go to the ER. Give an overview of your ER visit. Then tell about when you got the bill, how it effected you, emotionally and physically. They need to understand that the VAs lack of action is making you worse.

Finish by going over all the steps you've taken, trying to contact the different offices at the VA and such.

• HadIt.com Elder

Listening to the hadit podcast radio show tonight with John Jerrel & Bill

Were all hoping President Elect Donald Trump   will fix the crap going on like this...& Make the VA Great Again..

We think President Elect Trump will do the right thing and clean /weed out the corruption with in the entire VA. 

I believe we finally have a President that cares about the people and the US Military AD and Veterans alike.

Amy,

I wanted to speak to the other part of your post. Daddy duty called me away earlier.

You don't need to pay anybody on Hadit.com.  Many of us have been, or, are still in your shoes, as far as the emotional jungle that you're in the middle of.  I can't tell you how I feel, not because it's a secret, but this is your parade and I'm just a spectator on the sidelines.

You will hear from some folks on here that can and will help you, Gastone, asknod, Buck52, BroncoVet, and Vync and Flores97 too. Oh, and one very special lady, not a Vet but widow of 2, who paddled up "Niagara Falls" without a paddle and flattened it out...the grand dame Ms. Berta. 

Me, this is what I'm good at, I think, self deprecating humor and supporting words of encouragement. Oh, and I'll add you to my prayers too.

Andy