VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 for Foreign School

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

My son will be attending a school in Hungary that is VA eligible next semester. Chapter 35 pays a "monthly housing allowance" in this case, by semester. Do they stop pay when classes break for a week?  He still has to stay in the dorm since he can't just fly home whenever school breaks. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not 100% sure   , one week of a break  so yes I would say  it just stays the same and paid on each semester.

Chapter 35, 'DEA' is paid by term. If the school (SCO, School Certifying Official) included the time as a 'term' on the 1999 then the claimant is paid. They will conduct an audit, and, months later the audit finds the SCO incorrectly included a period, they'll adjust the award, creating a debt.

I've never seen a 'Monthly Housing Allowance' for CH35. Learn something new everyday!!! CH33 pays a housing allowance .... are you sure someone didn't confuse the two?

Or is it Fry??

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/survivor_dependent_assistance.asp

Edited by MikeHunt

Or maybe the Hazelwood Exemption?

https://veterans.tamu.edu/Study-Abroad#0-HazlewoodExemption

Snake Eyes , you listed your SC as 90% , but are you in fact now 100% P & T , and is that why your son is eligible for Chapter 35?

My kids' chapter 35 stops the day the term  ends and doesn't start paying them again until the new term.  If there is an additional charge for your child to stay in the dorms over the holidays and he/she isn't taking a class they will stop payment of their chapter 35 money.  The VA is quick to remedy mistakes made with chapter 35 overpayments, my daughter's college advised her to take two classes that they then (she should have realized as well) said weren't required for graduation.  That was caught and she had to replay almost $3,000. Thankfully, she had been saving her nickels and just went a semester without any chapter 35 money while it was paid back.  There are other scholarships but most won't cover foreign schools. 

Edited by seminoles

The RPO will accept mitigating circumstances (MITC) for period attended, after a debt is formed- Say there was a death in the family or the student became ill. For the remainder of the month, lets say the student attended until the 9th then dropped(and got MITC granted for nine days) but the award was stopped on the 31st , or an incorrect period was paid, send a VA Form 5655 to Debt Management (DMC) with a short note for a waiver. Students don't have money and it's easily granted as a 'hardship waiver.'