VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about using Secured Messages?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it ok to send copy's of Secured Message  between  patient and  VA-PCP or Specialty Clinics in to the VA as part of Evidence? Woud the VA Raters use it as your evidence?

DO HIPPA Laws Apply?

How does VA Define Secured Messages?  I know its to communicate for non-emergency medical  but more or less to ask your VA PCP Dr's health related questions? Medications problems  or appointment changes  ect,,ect,,,

Anybody know?

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Some times PCP never puts secured messages in MHV Notes  is the reason I ask...Most all the other Clinics Do. but not my PCP Don't ,

she only puts my clinical visits with her in my MHV Notes....medication ect,,ect,, but not in S.M. Secured Message.

S.M. is of medical record?  just like our medical records and should be used as such  as evidence for claim purposes  if it is favorable to the veteran.  we sign release of information on the statement in support of claim. (from what I understand?) maybe not?

I'm not sure why she don't put  the S.M. in MHV Notes?

Edited by Buck52

The communications show up in notes so they wil be potentially read at a minimum.  I send my doctor a message before and after each visit to document my issue/symptoms before and the visit after.  At a minimum it documents your "complaints of issues and a record of what you actually said.

i recommend using it.  My local VHS team has really tightened up execution since I started documenting everything in writing.

I print and save everything from secure messaging

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of or all of my S.M. Show up in the notes  but not the ones from my PCP?  I think its an option for them to put S.M. in the Notes?

I mean the only ones that can see them are the clinic staff and your PCP, They are actually read by someone before PCP gets them.

so really there not that ''Secured''

I'm going to use some of my S.M. to help substantiate a claim I'm fixing to file...because there not in MHV Notes.

• HadIt.com Elder

A Nurse Manager/or clinical office personal  usually gets them first and contacts the Dr and let him/her know  they have a Secure Message.