VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Automobile Allowance/Adaptive Equipment Grant

Sorry if this a rehashed question. I applied for Automobile Grant (21-4502) October 11th.  Ebenefits shows on benefits under Supplementary Benefits, "Entitled to Automobile Grant of up to $20,114.34 and Adaptive Equipment for your Automobile."

Obviously I need to wait for the form/certificate to be sent back to proceed.   

My VA Driver Rehab/KT recommended Hitch lift, wheel knob, and hand controls. Plus I have 4 kids, so a minivan wouldn't really fit the bill.

My question is what then? Most mobility dealers in my area sell the roll-on minivans.  So can I just go to any regular dealer, pick out a vehicle, then take it to the local VA Approved conversion shop / mobility dealer?  I just don't want to run in circles. Also if any fellow chair users have advice on type of vehicle, I'm open to recommendations.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I recommend you send a pm to James Cripps and ask your queations. He just used the grant recently. 

Check out the sprinter 2500 van for your needs. These vans are configured for disabilties and have seating arrangements that will provide you with the space you need and seatings for the kids. I think they offer side or rear ramp options.

Basser

• HadIt.com Elder

IAN

After you submit the 21-4502  you may want to send in a 10-1394  that's special adaptive equip  you may need.

I believe once your approved you go to the dealer and pick out your vehicle, remember this is a one time deal with the VA but you can keep getting the adaptive equip.

As Jbasser mention check out the 2500 vans and also check with James Cripps  he can advise as what you need to do.

if you don't hear something soon  you might check with IRIS.

Thanks, sent a PM.  I'll detail the procedure as I go through it for a follow up reply to this to help others, if it can.  I applied back in October, ebenefits is showing entitled to both.  The works in process page is showing Pending Decision Approval so I know I still need to wait a few.