VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My PTSD C&p Exams Length

Rate this question

Krod2

Question

Hi guys. Just a little insight. I served in the Navy 09-13, separated then began treatment for anxiety, depression, and insomnia. My medications caused me to sleepwalk and fall into slumbers exceeding 48 hours. Loss of memory day to day, tremors, and my feeling of being out of control led to anorexia. I lost my children for a month after trying to cook dirt on my stove in my sleep and nearly burning the house down while my husband was deployed. I was placed in a naval mental health facility and diagnosed with ptsd, bipolar one disorder, and the previously mentioned conditions. After submitting my claim 17Jun2016, I was scheduled for a C&P 26SEP2016. I attended the appointment ( iarrived late because I was given the wrong address) But it only lasted less than 15 minutes. Is that a bad thing? I felt everything was a bit vague. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Was the C & P done at a VAMC or by QTC or some other contractor?

If done at a VAMC you can get a copy of it.

It might be on ebenefits if you are enrolled there.

You need a PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional and also a stressor that can be proven.

Did you word the claim to include PTSD, Bipolar, or any other MH disability you mentioned?

Do you have a complete copy of your SMRs and military personnel file?

Do you get SSDI for PTSD?

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually if the exam was for PTSD they ''Normally last longer than 15 minutes  but maybe the examiner had everything in the computer and mostly just read off the computer?

usually they ask a few questions  like are you in treatment at this time  ect,,,ect,,,if you work or had many jobs in the last 2 years/why you changed jobs ect,,ect,, things like this....my examiner ask me if I feel like hurting someone....''I thought hell yes you if you don't give me a favorable report '' Nah!!!

Thanks Ms. Berta. Yes my evaluation was conducted at the VAMC so I'll look 8nto getting a copy from my local office. I have my records but I didn't receive my diagnosis of PTSD until after separation. I've been getting regular treatment at Psycare since separation though and received my diagnosis from my psych there. I listed all of my mental health diagnoses in my claim and my stressor was reported in the media nationwide. I'm still waiting on my SSDI decision but I was told my case is being expedited.

Thanks Buck52. He asked me a great bit of questions about my history, employment and medical, and he asked me about suicide, homicide, if I go out anywhere or if I had any friends. Then asked if I had been employed following my separation but I haven't worked since then. He verified my stressor with me  and asked about my medications which I have to keep written down because of so many different meds and dosages so I handed over my list. It was all just really vague. Like he was just reiterating what I had already told them. Reading word for word what he saw on his computer. A click here and a scroll there and we were done. Could it be because I had already been receiving regular treatment for years for the disabilities I claimed so he had the information needed to do what needed to be done? Some of them are reopens because I filed immediately after separation but my health began to deteriorate fast and by the time my appointment dates arrived, I was hospitalized for the first time of many.

• HadIt.com Elder

These C&P EXAMINERS read and re read your medical records  so at the time of the exam they are fully informed...but some C&P Examiner are not b/c they don't bother to read up on a veterans records..this exam could go both was  good or bad.??

Being it was a VA C&P After 3 full days you should be able to get a copy at your VAMC Release of Information Office.

Just state the date of the exam and they can go by that date..but its always a good Ideal to get copies of your medical records at least a year or 2 back..if you don't need them  then just ask for the records for the C&P Exam date.

Great advice Buck52. Much appreciated. My status for my claim changed to preparation for notification and I had to confirm my dd information and address on record. I was also told that the VA is requesting another PTSD exam so to expect that date in the future. Think that's a good sign?