VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

agent orange Alaska

Rate this question

JHutchinson

Question

My husband was stationed at Fort Wainwright Alaska.  The Haines Fairbank pipeline was sprayed with agent orange according to my research.  Letters were written from US Army to Canadian officials asking permission to spray pipeline that ran through Canada.  We have filed a claim but I feel it is going to be denied because no claims have been won for Alaska.  These letters surfaced late in 2002 according to DEC.  I really need a copy of these letters.  Does anyone out there know how to go about this.  I have contacted DEC by phone but my call has not been returned.  Any help?????  By the way, my husband has ischemic heart disease, Parkinsonism Symptoms, and peripheral neuropathy.  He is confined to a wheel and has no use of his arms and now his voice is going.  Thanks for ANY help.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say you definitely need those letters..try contacting officials authoritys from Canada?

your hubby needs medical records and str's to prove he was there  old army unit records  ect,,ect,,,

I am not sure how or who with the Canada officials   you may recheck your research?

you probably already seen this link?

http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/121502/ala_121502alapm0020001.shtml#.WGO04vkrLn0

Edited by Buck52

This information is 10 years old but you could try the links and send a Freedom of Information Act Request to try to get more info:

https://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/sites/haines_fair_pipe.htm

However this vet appeared to have accessed as much info as he could –possibly from DEC and also the internet,

But lost his case:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files2/1214590.txt

Also one of our members here has info , as to a newspaper article on the spraying at Haines pipeline, but has been in the claims process for many many years trying to prove exposure to AO.

I might have a link to the article but it will not help unless your husband can prove was with the Army Corps of Engineers, at the exact part of the pipeline, during the time frame they sprayed it.

The member here, Jerrel Cook,  does have evidence of one successful AO Alaska claim, as a vet sent him their AO award from  the AMC. He emailed it to me but It contained no information on how he proved his exposure however.

I have never quite understood the award he got because it contained very little info and the only evidence I recall was that same newspaper article,used as evidence. I assume then, that he was with the A CoE at the actual spraying operation,per his military records.

Was your husband with the Army Corps of Engineers during the timeframe they did the spraying in?

This is the most recent article I found on The Pipeline

http://www.newsminer.com/features/sundays/sketches_of_alaska/the-former-life-of-the-haines-fairbanks-pipeline/article_7c3384f4-2ceb-11e5-b481-f343ae37dc6d.html

Perhaps the reporter could be contacted for more information.

Was your husband stationed anywhere else?

AO claims have been won by vets who served in CONUS, Guam, Okinawa, Thailand, Korea, etc , as well as serving in Vietnam, and certain C 123 pilots.Also the VA has a USN Ships list whereby those ships and their occupants were exposed to AO.

I will call Jerrel later today to make sure he sees your post here and possibly you could both help each other.

Maybe his profile page has his contact info on it and you could email or call him.

Vets were also exposed to AO by handling the barrels ( and often the contents spilled out) but again they would have to prove direct exposure...that their MOS put them into the contact with the AO and they would need to prove that there was AO stored or transported in or out of where their MOS put them...regardless of where that was.

Edited by Berta

I just spoke to Jerrel and he would love to speak with you.

He said he had some recent info on the Haines pipeline.

If you put your contact info in your profile page or open the PM thing, I can send you his phone number.

Or you can try to PM me...at my profile page 

He has problems using hadit ,also has Parkinsonian symptoms, and also has many disabilities he attributes to AO from when they sprayed the pipeline.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta

I believe  this veteran won his claim on the bases of'' facts found'' maybe the newspaper article was beneficial to prove his case?

hopefully jerrel can help here?

I just spoke to Jerrel...I was stunned at the reason he gave Jerrel for the award.

I even discussed it with a lawyer from NVLSP and they were as baffled as I am about it.

It had nothing to really do with the article listed as his evidence. The article was in the Fairbanks Times June 2003.

Maybe he was with the C of E but nothing in the award states that.

If VA OIG ever saw that award, they would call CUE on it...in my opinion......

I have it on my PC but do not have the veteran's permission to post it ( or maybe even have it)

• HadIt.com Elder

if she has records to prove her hubby was station around this site  called the ''Haines Fairbanks Pipeline''

''

My husband was stationed at Fort Wainwright Alaska.  The Haines Fairbank pipeline was sprayed with agent orange according to my research. ''

Maybe check or look up Fort Wainwright'' or the nearest city Media  like Newspapers  and check the history records when this pipeline was being sprayed?

if it was close to the time her hubby was in the  area being sprayed  & show military records of him being station there around that time ect,,ect,,, that would be favorable evidence.

The newspaper article could be the connections she needs.

jmo