VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

agent orange Alaska

Rate this question

JHutchinson

Question

My husband was stationed at Fort Wainwright Alaska.  The Haines Fairbank pipeline was sprayed with agent orange according to my research.  Letters were written from US Army to Canadian officials asking permission to spray pipeline that ran through Canada.  We have filed a claim but I feel it is going to be denied because no claims have been won for Alaska.  These letters surfaced late in 2002 according to DEC.  I really need a copy of these letters.  Does anyone out there know how to go about this.  I have contacted DEC by phone but my call has not been returned.  Any help?????  By the way, my husband has ischemic heart disease, Parkinsonism Symptoms, and peripheral neuropathy.  He is confined to a wheel and has no use of his arms and now his voice is going.  Thanks for ANY help.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

The BVA case link I gave in this thread states:

"Nevertheless, in support of his claim, the Veteran has submitted Internet articles which reflect that the Army used herbicides to defoliate the Haines-Fairbanks Pipeline in Alaska, which was used from 1954 to 1973 to transport petroleum products throughout Alaska.  

While this evidence establishes that herbicides were used on the Haines-Fairbanks Pipeline in Alaska, neither the Veteran's statements nor the articles submitted confirm that he was actually exposed to herbicides during military service.  Indeed, the Board notes that the Veteran has not asserted or submitted any evidence which shows that his military duties included working near or being stationed by the pipeline where herbicides were used.  Instead, the Veteran has only asserted that he worked in warehouses in Alaska where big drums of liquids, with unknown contents, were stored. " 

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files2/1214590.txt

There is no question that AO was used on the pipeline.

The veteran was unable to prove he was by virtue of his MOS, that he was near the pipeline where they sprayed ,or stationed near where it was used.

"Instead, the Veteran has only asserted that he worked in warehouses in Alaska where big drums of liquids, with unknown contents, were stored. " 

If he could prove these were drums containing Agent Orange , and that he worked near them, he would have a chance.

Mrs Hutchinson---I sent you Jerrel's phone number via your Profile page

I am glad you got my PM....I sent a little more info....as to Fort Gordon.

2 AO awards for vets who were there.

to add, you mentioned your husband was at Fort Gordon as well:

This is from the VA main website that shows all CONUS areas were AO was stored or sprayed:

"Georgia

Dates: 1964
Project Description: In 1964, helicopter spray tests were conducted on transmission line rights-of-way by the Georgia Power Company and Tennessee Valley Authority in collaboration with Fort Detrick to evaluate effectiveness of several commercially available herbicides.
Agents: Diquat and Tordon 101, various
DoD Involvement: Yes

Dates: 7/15/1967 - 7/17/1967
Project Description: During the period of 12/1966 - 10/1967, a comprehensive short-term evaluation was conducted by personnel from Fort Detrick's Plant Science Lab in coordination with contract research on formulations by chemical industry and field tests by USDA and U of HI.
Agents: In-house desiccants mixtures and formulations, Orange and Blue
DoD Involvement: Yes

Dates: 1968
Project Description: In 1968, emphasis was given to soil applied herbicides for grass control. Applications were made by a jeep-mounted sprayer on small plots or by helicopter on larger plots.
Agents: Bromacil, Tandex, monuron, diuron, and fenuron
DoD Involvement: Undetermined"

- See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/tests-storage/usa.asp#sthash.rRIAi1Oe.dpuf

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/tests-storage/usa.asp