VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Concurrent Receipt

I see that there are several bills that have been introduced in Congress to eliminate Concurrent Receipt of retired pay and VA compensation. Does anyone have any insight as to the chances of concurrent receipt being taken away from us?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Bills like this are introduced often by members who are budget hawks, have a beef against veterans, or probably both. Most politicians do not want to be tagged as anti-veteran. Since CRDP went into effect quite a few years ago, nobody has been able to get rid it of. It is possible that these efforts could be successful at some point, but nobody knows when or if it would ever occur.

The Congressional Budget Office typically includes CRDP as a chopping block item in their cost saving reports. But one thing the pencil neck bean counters fail to realize is that military retirement pay is an earned benefit of service. VA disability pay is also a completely separate benefit unique to veterans. The bean counters try to rub their sticks together and whine about it being the same, but they are truly two different things. Although I am not a retiree, I wholeheartedly believe that forcing a retired veteran to have a 50% or higher rating to qualify is a ripoff. The right thing to do is for a law to be passed that all retirement and disability can be collected regardless. The second thing they need to do is pass a law that bans the CBO from including CRDP on the chopping block recommendations.

I hope this helps.

There are actually 3 proposals: the one I already copied eliminates concurrent CRDP entirely and return concurrent receipt to the pre 2004 entitlement. The second one deals with eliminating 7 afflictions that they say are not really service connected https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/2016/52190 .  And, the third deals with eliminating UI until retirement age https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/2016/52191 . I agree with Vync; however, one never knows what they will slip by the public. Please see the petition that I posted. It is going around the military spaces right now.