VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Get Your HadIt.com Merch! Check them out here2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Medical Marijana For Ptsd

calnight

Question

I know some people feel that marijana is bad and has no medicall use. I have a appt with my va shrink on the 28th and I am thinking of telling him that I would like to try pot for my ptsd syptoms the anger being the biggest problem. The side effects of the meds that the va is giving me is killing me. Over the past 3 years my meds have been changed 4-5 times without help. I live in california and I have obtained my permit to use pot through a indepented doctor. But I also know that the federall goverment does not reconize the cal law. I have a friend that is a nam vet who is 100% p&t for ptsd and ao and he uses pot instead of the va drugs and says the same thing that the sideeffects where to much and the pot helps more than the drugs. He does not tell the va about the pot use but he still gets the va drugs to make it look like he is taking them. I would like opions about this I know this is a hot subject so all opions are welcome. thank you

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Since the gov't dont reconize it, i would not tell them, the only thing i would be careful is, incase you get blood work or take a piss test, the will see it in your system. I don't think that will affect you va c&p, but it may affect you for increases.

I have a buddy that takes pot for his ptsd symptoms for about 5 yrs, even before it was legal here in cali. Since he came off the real bad drugs(prescription) he has did a 180 degree change. His personality is out going and he looks like a person who is not battling anything.

The pot helps him to relax and he is able to function at work. He is 100% p&t so he doesn't worry about anything. he still goes by va rules and b/s about the meds, but he said that the pot is the best thing that happened to him.

Disclaimer: I dont mean that pot may change your symptoms or make you better. It is just a suggestion that i saw in him and i am using that to answer your question.

Marinejay

Since the gov't dont reconize it, i would not tell them, the only thing i would be careful is, incase you get blood work or take a piss test, the will see it in your system. I don't think that will affect you va c&p, but it may affect you for increases.

I have a buddy that takes pot for his ptsd symptoms for about 5 yrs, even before it was legal here in cali. Since he came off the real bad drugs(prescription) he has did a 180 degree change. His personality is out going and he looks like a person who is not battling anything.

The pot helps him to relax and he is able to function at work. He is 100% p&t so he doesn't worry about anything. he still goes by va rules and b/s about the meds, but he said that the pot is the best thing that happened to him.

Disclaimer: I dont mean that pot may change your symptoms or make you better. It is just a suggestion that i saw in him and i am using that to answer your question.

Marinejay

If you're worried about drug checks, look into Marinol, a synthetic THC pill. The PTSD guys I know still take mary jane rollers but have Marinol on their med records. What they do with the pills I have no idea. :)

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA finds pot in your urine test you can be thrown out of certain treatment clinics like pain management. Illegal drugs are a NO,NO in the VA system and their use will be turned against you. Alcohol and illegal drugs showing up in blood work or urine tests only means trouble for the vet. In my mind what you want to attempt to show the VA is that you are a 100% compliant patient that walks the line. You want to try and rule out all other causes for your condition besides legitimate service connected ones.

But what if they walk the line as the va says and their condition still gets worse. the only thing i hate about american medicine is they prescribe drugs for everything. I had back pain for about 3 years now, took the drugs and it worked alittle, the side effects was worse than the gains i was getting from the drugs. So now i am into alternative medicine, like accupunture and all that stuff.

The pot, i am totally against taking it b/c its illegal currently, but if they are no other solutions that works, i would be open minded to it. Man! they allow us to take oxycotin, vicoden and all those other drugs that screws your system up, but when it comes to pot, its a no! no!.

Why is it like that? b/c it can be grown by an individual and the gov't won't be able to make money off of it. It totally sucks. I am an advacate to make pot legal, its minor stuff compared to the things we are prescribed sometimes. At least from pot you won't get ED and all those other devistating aliments.

Just my 3 cents

Edited by marinejay (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

VA has no right to test any VET for anything other than to keep in check the side effects of the meds they give out, or you agree in writing otherwise.

This goverment has blindsided the public on mary jane, if the drug companies could have got to it before the indians , then it would be legal as they would have a patent.

I commend any state who sees through the federal BS on this issue, the evidence is clear and unmistakeable that the benefit outways the cons.

I know many Vets who use this method with great success.

Edited by JR Reihs (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe any hospital has the right to run a Toxicity Screen as well as an Aids test on Patients.

Usually the Emergency rooms do that. They only do it if they suspect a serious life threatning illness or they are brought in by the Police following an accident and are suspected of operrating a Vehicle under the influence. Do not be taking Marijuana and get into an auto accident and Kill someone. People go to prison every day for doing the same.

I believe any hospital has the right to run a Toxicity Screen as well as an Aids test on Patients.

Usually the Emergency rooms do that. They only do it if they suspect a serious life threatning illness or they are brought in by the Police following an accident and are suspected of operrating a Vehicle under the influence. Do not be taking Marijuana and get into an auto accident and Kill someone. People go to prison every day for doing the same.

I dont drive now roadrage I let the wife do it.

Great commets on the subject I new that this subject would be divided among us here. I am tired of not being able to play with my kids becuase my sideaffects from the va meds make me feel like a zombie. And lets not forget the other sideaffects ED, no sex drive, hand tremors, weight gain, and others not yet known. And about the sex drive and ed my wife has huge problem with that and so do I. I am 33 years old but my tool feels 70. I am not saying pot is the cure all. But this is no way to live.

• In Memoriam

I haven't had drugs or alcohol for over 31 years, except what the VA has given me. Last week my new PCP ordered a drug test on me. hehehehehehehehehe. I am going to call up and ask what they found out from this test. She didn't tell me what the lab was so, I have the right to ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

Every time you get blood work or a urine test you are being screened for illegal drugs and for legal drugs at the VAMC. Whatever works for you is fine by me, but the VA will try and screw vets out of benefits if they find illegal drugs or alcohol. Alcohol they don't frown on as much but it can get you kicked out of certain programs like pain management.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am pro whatever works and even though I have never smoked a single marijuana cig if it helps a Vet I am for it.

I did my fair share of alcohol until 1982 when I found it really was not much help for living or panic.

• HadIt.com Elder
Every time you get blood work or a urine test you are being screened for illegal drugs and for legal drugs at the VAMC. Whatever works for you is fine by me, but the VA will try and screw vets out of benefits if they find illegal drugs or alcohol. Alcohol they don't frown on as much but it can get you kicked out of certain programs like pain management.

John, I think that's incorrect. I think that only happens when you are in an in-patient PTSD program and you've signed a release that allows that. I found in my records where they had tested me in error and there was a statement in there that stated that it was done in error.

As for MJ, one of the vets in my VVA chapter says the VA in Spokane, WA, will prescribe medical MJ for him but he lives in Idaho so it can't be mailed to him and they can't give it to him to transport into Idaho, because it's illegal there. I think he's considering moving to Washington.

I know a few PTSD vets who say it works for them. I won't because it's illegal and it might make me want to smoke cigarettes again, which was way too hard to quit. Acually, one of my counselors says it's less harmful to our bodies and less dangerous to society than alcohol. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

I get a screen for opiates twice a year because I use the pain clinic and get opiates. They check to make sure you are taking them and not selling them. I get my medical report and it has the screen right there in black and white. It shows positive for opiates and for the Clonazepam I take. The pain clinic people check it right in front of me. At my VAMC in Tampa they have always done screens for illegal drugs and alcohol.

The have a right to do Toxicity, but not an AIDS test with out the patients consent. The only time the are allowed to do it is in an EXTREME emergency or the have to give blood, then its obvious. If the run an aids test with out the patient's consent its illegal, and the doc can have his license found out.

Now the question is do the do it with out the consent? the answer is yes, if the run the aids test w/o your consent and you come up postive, the can't tell you unless you consent to an aids test.

marinejay

• HadIt.com Elder
Phil

I get a screen for opiates twice a year because I use the pain clinic and get opiates. They check to make sure you are taking them and not selling them. I get my medical report and it has the screen right there in black and white. It shows positive for opiates and for the Clonazepam I take. The pain clinic people check it right in front of me. At my VAMC in Tampa they have always done screens for illegal drugs and alcohol.

John,

I'd say they screen you because you take opiates. I think they are making sure you are taking them and no selling them and it may be allowed because it's part of your pain clinic contract, but they are not allowed to just randomly test anyone for drugs, unless they have written informed consent.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I am routinely screened for opiates and neither informed or asked. How do I know? Iget cvopies of my blood and urines tests.

As for the original post, I don't see where the VA has any say on the issue of what meds you take through private treatment. You are not required to use VA treatment exclusivley.

As long as a legal med is prescribed by a physician, it is a med. Not an illegal substance. The perscription narcotics are illegal if they are not perscribed. Legal if they are. Legality of certain meds is not controled by the VA.

I do not see how this could effect a rating in any way, with the exception that the veteran improves to point of reduction in rating.

Personaly with my dementia, it just messes me up. So it won't help me. Yep, I've tried. And have told the docs.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't care what state you live in the Feds do not recognize "legal" marijuana they are busting the clinics and the doctors in Calif they have even busted some people that were "legally" growing their own, is it worth your benefits to "test" the federal system?

• HadIt.com Elder

Calnight

Getting back to your original question about telling your shrink that you want to use pot for your PTSD symptoms what do you think he will say? He can't advocate you do this since it is against the law. If you are lucky he will just ignore the question and not make a note of it in your records. If it was me I would not mention illegal drugs or alcohol to the VA. I have believed that the image you want to present to the VA is that you are a 100% compliant patient. What you want to do is to document the severity of your symptoms every time you set foot in the door of the VA. You don't want to give them even anything they could use to limit or terminate any benefit or potential benefit you might have. If you want to use pot or anything else that is your business, but realize the risks.