VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Marijana For Ptsd

Rate this question

calnight

Question

I know some people feel that marijana is bad and has no medicall use. I have a appt with my va shrink on the 28th and I am thinking of telling him that I would like to try pot for my ptsd syptoms the anger being the biggest problem. The side effects of the meds that the va is giving me is killing me. Over the past 3 years my meds have been changed 4-5 times without help. I live in california and I have obtained my permit to use pot through a indepented doctor. But I also know that the federall goverment does not reconize the cal law. I have a friend that is a nam vet who is 100% p&t for ptsd and ao and he uses pot instead of the va drugs and says the same thing that the sideeffects where to much and the pot helps more than the drugs. He does not tell the va about the pot use but he still gets the va drugs to make it look like he is taking them. I would like opions about this I know this is a hot subject so all opions are welcome. thank you

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Since the gov't dont reconize it, i would not tell them, the only thing i would be careful is, incase you get blood work or take a piss test, the will see it in your system. I don't think that will affect you va c&p, but it may affect you for increases.

I have a buddy that takes pot for his ptsd symptoms for about 5 yrs, even before it was legal here in cali. Since he came off the real bad drugs(prescription) he has did a 180 degree change. His personality is out going and he looks like a person who is not battling anything.

The pot helps him to relax and he is able to function at work. He is 100% p&t so he doesn't worry about anything. he still goes by va rules and b/s about the meds, but he said that the pot is the best thing that happened to him.

Disclaimer: I dont mean that pot may change your symptoms or make you better. It is just a suggestion that i saw in him and i am using that to answer your question.

Marinejay

Since the gov't dont reconize it, i would not tell them, the only thing i would be careful is, incase you get blood work or take a piss test, the will see it in your system. I don't think that will affect you va c&p, but it may affect you for increases.

I have a buddy that takes pot for his ptsd symptoms for about 5 yrs, even before it was legal here in cali. Since he came off the real bad drugs(prescription) he has did a 180 degree change. His personality is out going and he looks like a person who is not battling anything.

The pot helps him to relax and he is able to function at work. He is 100% p&t so he doesn't worry about anything. he still goes by va rules and b/s about the meds, but he said that the pot is the best thing that happened to him.

Disclaimer: I dont mean that pot may change your symptoms or make you better. It is just a suggestion that i saw in him and i am using that to answer your question.

Marinejay

If you're worried about drug checks, look into Marinol, a synthetic THC pill. The PTSD guys I know still take mary jane rollers but have Marinol on their med records. What they do with the pills I have no idea. :)

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA finds pot in your urine test you can be thrown out of certain treatment clinics like pain management. Illegal drugs are a NO,NO in the VA system and their use will be turned against you. Alcohol and illegal drugs showing up in blood work or urine tests only means trouble for the vet. In my mind what you want to attempt to show the VA is that you are a 100% compliant patient that walks the line. You want to try and rule out all other causes for your condition besides legitimate service connected ones.

But what if they walk the line as the va says and their condition still gets worse. the only thing i hate about american medicine is they prescribe drugs for everything. I had back pain for about 3 years now, took the drugs and it worked alittle, the side effects was worse than the gains i was getting from the drugs. So now i am into alternative medicine, like accupunture and all that stuff.

The pot, i am totally against taking it b/c its illegal currently, but if they are no other solutions that works, i would be open minded to it. Man! they allow us to take oxycotin, vicoden and all those other drugs that screws your system up, but when it comes to pot, its a no! no!.

Why is it like that? b/c it can be grown by an individual and the gov't won't be able to make money off of it. It totally sucks. I am an advacate to make pot legal, its minor stuff compared to the things we are prescribed sometimes. At least from pot you won't get ED and all those other devistating aliments.

Just my 3 cents

Edited by marinejay

• HadIt.com Elder

VA has no right to test any VET for anything other than to keep in check the side effects of the meds they give out, or you agree in writing otherwise.

This goverment has blindsided the public on mary jane, if the drug companies could have got to it before the indians , then it would be legal as they would have a patent.

I commend any state who sees through the federal BS on this issue, the evidence is clear and unmistakeable that the benefit outways the cons.

I know many Vets who use this method with great success.

Edited by JR Reihs