Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • 0

Is my c -file (claims file) online ?


Does ebenifits fave my claims file on line so I can access it? Does myhealthevet? If so, how do I access it?

If it isnt online can anyone tell me the form number I need to submit to obtain a copy of it?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You can use this form:


Send it to the VARO that you deal with.

Copies of your medical records can be obtained at your VAMC.

Their Freedom of Info person or Records Access Officer at your VAMC should have a brief form you could sign and use if you go there in person.....or send the request under the Privacy Act, 5, USC 552, for a complete copy of the medical records to your VAMC.

I have mentioned this for years here ,but it pays to say it again.....

C files and VA medical records belong to the veteran whose claims and VA health care they pertain to.

That is why I never suggest using a FOIA request for them,unless they take a very long time to arrive.

One reason C files and Medical records take a long time is, in fact, because the veteran has used FOIA to get them. The Privacy act, stated on the form in the pdf, is all you need to state for VA Med recs or C file.

You can also request a few specific medical VA  records (such as blood work Chem results ) and that might not take too long for them to arrive.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

 I Agree with Ms berta

also to add my experience in getting my C-File

I requested my  complete redacted C-FILE from my RO  never heard a word from them for a year/& when I actually heard from them  it was the same old same old excuse  ''we are in the process of the proper channels to get your c-file  or some other lame excuse they use.

 Hadit elder Member Alex , aka Asknod had put up information on his asknod blog site  How to Request your C-FILE.

I used that information and requested my C-File  got it within 3 months. ( in CD R.O.M.)

Edited by Buck52

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Your VARO Rating Dept has the only access to your C-File, you can send in a FOIA request by mail, Fax or in person at your RO, requesting a copy of your C-File. Pack a lunch, will be about a year before you get the C-File on CD.

Back in 01/14, I received about 8 - 10 in of C-File from a late 2012 FOIA Request that I filed in person at the Det RO. Took about 14 mos to get and it was copies of the C-File, up through the Date I'd filed the FOIA request back in 11/12.

You could contact your RO to set up a "Personal Viewing of your C-File appointment." Don't expect to get a next day or even a next week or month viewing Appointment. The VA has to assign a VA Rating Dept employee to be with you while you view your  Computer C-File. If you want to make copies of pages, you have to let them know in advance, otherwise all you can do is review.

Semper Fi

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

No, eBenefits does not maintain a copy of your entire file. Use VA Form 21-4138 to request a copy. You do not need to provide a reason, simply request a copy of your entire file.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Kgosi, "simply request a copy of your entire file," is somewhat of an understatement.

Buck's one of the only Vets I know, to ever get his entire C-File in like 3 months after filing his FOIA request. I'm not sure when he got his on CD, back in 13/14 VA was still shipping the Paper File.

I think just about most, if not all RO's, C-Files are now digitized.  That should speed up the process, just not sure how much. You would think,making a CD copy of a Vet's C-File and shipping the small envelope out, shouldn't take anywhere near the same time as doing all paper.

I'm almost 3 months since I Faxed my C-File requst, we'll see.

Semper Fi


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines