VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is my c -file (claims file) online ?

Rate this question

handicappednotdisabled

Question

You can use this form:

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA3288.pdf

Send it to the VARO that you deal with.

Copies of your medical records can be obtained at your VAMC.

Their Freedom of Info person or Records Access Officer at your VAMC should have a brief form you could sign and use if you go there in person.....or send the request under the Privacy Act, 5, USC 552, for a complete copy of the medical records to your VAMC.

I have mentioned this for years here ,but it pays to say it again.....

C files and VA medical records belong to the veteran whose claims and VA health care they pertain to.

That is why I never suggest using a FOIA request for them,unless they take a very long time to arrive.

One reason C files and Medical records take a long time is, in fact, because the veteran has used FOIA to get them. The Privacy act, stated on the form in the pdf, is all you need to state for VA Med recs or C file.

You can also request a few specific medical VA  records (such as blood work Chem results ) and that might not take too long for them to arrive.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Agree with Ms berta

also to add my experience in getting my C-File

I requested my  complete redacted C-FILE from my RO  never heard a word from them for a year/& when I actually heard from them  it was the same old same old excuse  ''we are in the process of the proper channels to get your c-file  or some other lame excuse they use.

Hadit elder Member Alex , aka Asknod had put up information on his asknod blog site  How to Request your C-FILE.

I used that information and requested my C-File  got it within 3 months. ( in CD R.O.M.)

Edited by Buck52

Your VARO Rating Dept has the only access to your C-File, you can send in a FOIA request by mail, Fax or in person at your RO, requesting a copy of your C-File. Pack a lunch, will be about a year before you get the C-File on CD.

Back in 01/14, I received about 8 - 10 in of C-File from a late 2012 FOIA Request that I filed in person at the Det RO. Took about 14 mos to get and it was copies of the C-File, up through the Date I'd filed the FOIA request back in 11/12.

You could contact your RO to set up a "Personal Viewing of your C-File appointment." Don't expect to get a next day or even a next week or month viewing Appointment. The VA has to assign a VA Rating Dept employee to be with you while you view your  Computer C-File. If you want to make copies of pages, you have to let them know in advance, otherwise all you can do is review.

Semper Fi

No, eBenefits does not maintain a copy of your entire file. Use VA Form 21-4138 to request a copy. You do not need to provide a reason, simply request a copy of your entire file.

Kgosi, "simply request a copy of your entire file," is somewhat of an understatement.

Buck's one of the only Vets I know, to ever get his entire C-File in like 3 months after filing his FOIA request. I'm not sure when he got his on CD, back in 13/14 VA was still shipping the Paper File.

I think just about most, if not all RO's, C-Files are now digitized.  That should speed up the process, just not sure how much. You would think,making a CD copy of a Vet's C-File and shipping the small envelope out, shouldn't take anywhere near the same time as doing all paper.

I'm almost 3 months since I Faxed my C-File requst, we'll see.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastnone

I had requested my C-FILE FIOA Request about 16 months prior and still not a word on it...then I went to asknod.com/asknod.org  his blog site use the Search bar for request your C-File, and he has information on how to get your C-File fast.

after I used his information it only took about 3 months..I am not sure if my other request for 16 months had anything to do with it  but something helped....so it took me 15 months actually.

Had I used asknod Information on my first request I might have got my C-File a lot faster.

Also I never knew this  if the veteran has written something in pencil   the scanning machine they use will not copy that to CD  its a blank sheet of paper...I have several blank sheets of paper in my c -file  from many many years ago when I first sent in my first claim   I used pencil (I didn't know not to)....the scanning machine will not copy light written pages   so when you send the VA Anything make sure your using dark pencil or black ink  type written.

dark ink is usually ok but if your using pencil bare down & print it dark...better to never use a light pencil lead.

I type all my stuff now in bold ink.

Edited by Buck52