VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is my c -file (claims file) online ?

Rate this question

handicappednotdisabled

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Also a Veteran needs to send his C-File Request into the Janesville Wi  Dept of Veteran Affairs Claims Intake Center...sending it in to your R.O. Will delay your request..so its better to send it to the claims intake Center..and at the present that is Janesville Wi.

Yo Buck, when did you get the CD? Scarry to think it still takes a yr+ to get the CD.

About 3 mos ago, figured WTF, lets see if anything regarding obtaining my c-file had changed. I decided to try the C-File FOIA request by FAX to the VA C-File FOIA Dept. down South, it doesn't go immediately to your RO.

Within a day, I got a VA FOIA Dept Email notification of receipt of my FOIA. Then another day or so, another VA FOIA Dept Email indicating my C-File FOIA Copy Request, (10 pages or less would be on paper, more pages than 10 would be delivered on a CD) was being processed.

My FOIA Request has shown up on my E-Ben Claims Status page, as a New Pending Claim, since about 3 days after I Faxed the FOIA.

About 3 mos and counting, as of today. To bad there is nothing on the RO Monday Morning Reports indicating pending & Completed FOIA Claims requests.

Semper Fi

I guess folks here need an update for 2017 on c-files. Here's the latest. Attorneys and agents can sign up for access to the c-files on line using VBMS. I do not know about NSOs as I am not one and have little contact with them except for the nasty letters they send me at my website. Access is granted when you have a signed copy of the VAF 21-22a filed with the Regional Office closest to the Veteran where his/her claims are being handled. We contact the Information Security Officer (ISO) and request access. We have to have a va.gov email assigned to us and only the agent or attorney with the POA can access the file-no paralegals, secretaries or other clerks. The computer we use has to be secure  and there are a few other things regarding protection of information of the Veteran. It's a read only file and we cannot enter any info or delete any. It is instantly updated with anything sent in via the EIC in Janesville. Attorneys/agents do not use eBenefits-or at least I don't. It's like reading last month's newspaper or the 800-827-1000 Prize Redemption Center.

Due to viruses and other internet glitches, I doubt Vets will ever get access to c-files on eBennies. Writing directly to the Records depository in St. Louis is now the preferred method using a VAF 21-3288.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone. I had my C-File request in for about 12 months and nothing, then I read up  on Asknods blog site  and I sent in another request  this time to the Janesville Wi Claims Intake Center... After about 3 months I got the CD in From Janesville.

1st request dates were Jan 2014 -Jan 2015 not a word...then sent another request sometimes in Feb 2015 using asknod information  recieved C-FILE CD from Janesville 1st part of June 2015.

Not sure if I would have got it in 3/4.months or not  if I had not requested it back in 2014??

I think it makes a big difference who you request the C-File from.

I always have veterans to go to asknod blog site   he has all the information a vet needs on just about anything for veterans claims and more.

The long & short of it, Vets (without a VA Lawyer with access to VBMS) have to use the FOIA Requests for their C-Files.

NOD, did you ever use the RO Viewing appointment, to review a portion of  your C-File? I recall seeing the picture of your C-File mountain of boxes.  Was that from multiple FOIA C-File requests over the years?

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember seeing asknods C-file  stacks.  LoL

I did go to my R.O.. to view my c-file  I had sent them a request to come and view it  they sent me the date that I could come view it   so wife and I drove up to my RO on that date  this was way back in 2001 I think?  anyway when we got there and checked in   they could not locate my C-file  it was floating around in space some where

so I filed a  form that says I was there and non contact to my c-file I think?

anyway the trip was for nothing  but  the VSO had me to fill out the form that showed I was there on this date and they could not find my C-FILE..However later on about a month later the RO Sent me a letter to come view my c-file on so and so date

I did  they took me to a room and had my entire c-file on a desk  I open it up and started looking though it as they watched me like a hawk  but I got to view it.