VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is my c -file (claims file) online ?

Rate this question

handicappednotdisabled

Question

i know this is an old thread but its the closest i could find to the topic i am looin for. 

i submited a FOIA for my c-file and recently i filed a CUE for a claim. i went to check to see if the CUE had showed on ebennies and low and behold my FOIA request is there? 

is this a thing? i never new FOIA requests were "claims"? 

blahsaysme2u

Normally, I dont answer questions to Vets who have asked THEIR question inside someone else's post.  However, you are new, and I love your logic of searching for the answer before asking questions that I have already answered dozens of times.  So, here goes, but please ask future questions in a new post as it may not get answered at all:

Like yourself, other Veterans have reported that a FOIA shows up as a "claim".  However, others have reported that there was no record of their FOIA request.  So, obviously VA either does not have a policy on the matter, or, they do and not all employees comply.  

My opinion is that pro se Vets deserve VBMS access as well as attorney's and VSO's.  Real time access to the VBMS file is a massive advantage, that is, if you understand what you are reading.  I do get that its a security issue, tho, as having millions of Vets with access to VBMS would essentially be Lituanian for "hack me".  

Here is a work around for you, tho.  Go give your POA to a VSO WHO HAS VBMS access.  He "may" allow you to print it off, however, that may not be possible either.  However, if you did get to view your VBMS file, you could likely take notes, especially with reference to what exams "were" or were not in your file.  Then, for example if the March 18, 2012 exam was not in your cfile, and you knew that exam had compelling positive evidence. then go to your VAMC release of information and ask them to print you a copy of your March 18, 2012 exam.  At my VAMC I could then take a copy of that exam with me in 15 minutes.  To make this work, you would need a good knowledge of what is in your file, and many Vets do that.  It also helps to know what a "nexus" and stuff like that is.  Ten years ago, I thought a Nexus was a small car made by Toyota sold at a Nissan dealer.    

Edited by broncovet