VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

REtake

Rate this question

iraqrecall

Question

If I file for a new disability will the VA review my prior claims that have been deemed permanent, can they make me take the old C&P exams over again or will they only look at the new claim.  

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

They will look at your old claims  but don't let that stop you from filing a new claim...these old injuries/disease can creep up on us at any age  some take years too ,  like Bad Hearing  or Bad Back Muscle problems IBS  ect,,ect,,  if you have a disability that you think is service connected  please by all mean file for it....they usually leave a veteran old claims alone  because its very hard for them to prove the veteran Has improved  so usually they leave that alone.

and if you have another disability that has come up recently you can get SMC's Added in with what you have now  if your 100% now and you file for a separate S.C. Disability  and they rate you at least 60%  you should get SMC-S HB 1 ADDED TO YOUR 100% $$$ That is another 347 & change per month with spouse...more with extra dependents  kids ect,,ect,,

File your claim  every day you wait is $$ out of your pocket.

jmo

• HadIt.com Elder

You earned your benefits, so when a veteran has come up with a disability years later that can be service related and service connected...file that claim.

As for as getting a C&P the VA can call any of us up for an exam under 20 years, but if you had your S.C. Disability 5 years or more  I doubt they will call you up for a C&P because you filed a new claim. 

for most of us veterans our service connected disability compensation is the only income we have plus a small SS Payment each month...for me I had to stop working because of my service connected disability '' no retirement funds''

So I tell every US Veteran I see if you think you have a service related injury or disease  even years after you get out...FILE YOUR CLAIM.

Thanks Buck, will have to think on it. I am 100% IU which sticks in my craw. Feel like I still can work even at age 70.
I am already considered housebound. 

PTSD and denied then a year later was diagnosed  with mild PTSD. Don't know if adding it would change anything and dont want to risk losing what I have. Type II diabetes is starting to act up also but once again I dont see any gain.

If I thought I could get 100% scheduled instead of IU it may be worth rolling the dice. 

I was 90% SC, IU T & P No Future Exams 06/14. Filed New FDC's 01/14, 06/14, 02/15, Awarded 100% SA bump from 50% SA SC 12/15. Filed EED CUE Review of 12/15 Award 4/16, Awarded Cue Review 07/16.

The only occasions that the Rating Dept ordered New C & Ps, were on New DX'd Secondary Conditions and existing SC Increase requests.

If your filing for a New DX'd Condition, you shouldn't worry about the rating Dept jerking around with your other SC's. What is your actual Combined SC Rating? What SC got you the IU?

A Nam buddy (IU T & P since early 15) put in for a PTSD 50% SC Increase late 2015. Rater ordered new PTSD C & P mid 16. Decision reduced his PTSD to 30%, Increased his Migraine SC to 60%, go figure. His combined SC% didn't move.

You indicate your 70 and rated IU & SMC S (Housebound by Medical Statement), right. The VA Tax Free Comp, about $43K,SS $16K?, while not being a 6 figure income, has to take the edge off.

At 70 & IU, you no-longer are required to file the VA 21-2140 Income statement, but your Earned Income has to remain below the SGI $11,400 or $950.00 per mos to maintain the IU Rating. A 1099 or W-2 indicating Earned Income in excess of the SGI, could trigger an IU Reduction to your former Combined SC Comp Level. The VA, SSA & IRS have a info sharing program for Income verification.

Semper Fi

My SC is Depression at 70% I am 90% scheduled. I will not get any increase in money no matter what and to be frank with SS, VA and Military Ret. I dont want no need it. My problem is that I sometimes feel useless being UI. The info. about $950 a month makes me feel better that I could maybe get a hobby job of a few hours a week filling in. Thanks for all the information and consideration. 

You want to stay alive, you got to stay active. I do some side work for $$, not a get rich deal, but keeps me busy. Working with a few Nam Vets and their buddies, a couple hours a week helping with their claims and appeals is very enjoyable and personally rewarding.

Doing what I want, when I want is great. Haven't worked for anyone, in 30 yrs, certainly couldn't & wouldn't start now.

You ever do any VA MH Group therapy? I did 21/2 yrs back in 11, stay in touch with about 8 Nam Vets from the Group. Really enjoy helping these guys navigate the VA Comp program.

Almost forgot, be sure to put the Publishers Clearing House prize of $5K per Week in your Wife's or Kid's name, why risk losing your IU, right.

Semper Fi