VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Started SSDI claims

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

What are my chances that this will be quickly decided? I have over 10 health issues being service connected I'm at 100%TDIU not permanent yet one of my disabilities is rated at 70 for TBI the main reason my TDIU went through in 3 months. That and emailing Ted Ebert and Mr. McDonald. My last check from my work before I was let go yesterday will be Friday and then I have no money coming in to pay the bills. I guess until the 1st I called case management they said your retro is on your way I said 3k she said no 1500. I needed an explanation I said I was awarded Nov 11 that two payments I've gotten just at 90% I am owed 3k. She tried saying I was wrong until it finally hit her and now she's calling me this morning from case management with my answer. Sorry went on a venting spree but back to my post. I started the process online and plan to go to the office as soon as I get the award letter unless printing off Ebenefits will work? 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You must be totally disabled for six months before SSDI even accepts a claim.  Did your injury get aggravated at work?  I got worker's compensation for about 18 months before the VA rolled over and granted TDIU.  Strangely enough, I got SSDI in 3 months but I had already been out of work for six months by that time.   The SSA has strange ways of deciding if you are disabled or not.  You can be in a pay status but not working and you may still be considered disabled.  I was in that category so I was only in non-pay status for about 3 months I think but those were a long 3 months.  My WC and SSDI kicked in within a month of each other and my SSDI was put on hold for a while since I was getting OWCP.  If you can file for WC do it.   It all gets very complicated when you get VA and WC at the same time so be careful.   I had a disability insurance policy that kicked in and that was the best investment I ever made in my life. 

For young vets who can I advise them to buy a disability insurance plan before they become disabled.  Of course, nobody actually does that except the rare few.   I did it way back in the 80's before I became disabled except for 10% from the VA and that hurt me even then.

John

The doctor gave his medical opinion saying I'm a liability to anyone flying in the aircraft I had been working on. So I was put on medical leave  unpaid 3 months ago so I was forced to resign. I have been granted TDIU for shot on the 8th only 3k in retro since I was already at 90%. So no WC yeah I here you if this retro doesn't hit by the 19th mortgage will be late.

2. Medical history

a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran’s TBI and residuals attributable to TBI (brief summary).

Veteran had Motor Vehicle Accident dated 12/26/2006. Veteran sustained multiple injuries described in discharge summary from initial hospitalization as "Severe TBI/Diffuse axonal injury, Basilar Skull Fracture," and multiple extremity fractures, deep vein thromboses, "mild neurogenic storm", ventilator dependent respiratory failure and etc. He underwent another acute hospitalization, and then a rehabilitation hospitalization at Bryn Mawr Hospital. He was ultimately returned to duty, and he was subsequently deployed to Afghanistan.

Based on my review of the documentation:

Memory-he describes it as "horrible”. He states he "loses tools after I just used them. I've stopped caring about forgetting things. I have amnesia for my accident. I can remember some things from the day before. I just can't remember. My wife is my reminder. She has to tell me each day what to do. I don't talk to anyone outside work. I stutter, because I think I'm using the wrong word. I'm blunt. My wife says I have no empathy. I don't care about others feelings. I really have difficulty solving problems especially at work."

No treatment for his TBI as such. Medical records in C & VA files document well his cephalic trauma. For example, 12/31/2006 CT Scan of head describes "Innumerable foci of intraparenchymal hemorrhage bilaterally stable with the exception of increased edema related to a right temporal lesion." 

this was the doctors IU opinion will this hurt my SSDI or move in the right direction IU was granted even after my stupid remarks about being strong like an ox ?

(1) Trauma effects on Veteran's Memory seem to create one of his most significant impairments. Work on aircraft, where the lives of pilots & passengers are at risk, and much of the tasks are quite technical, seems particularly inappropriate for an individual with his apparent level of cognitive impairment. (2) In most employments, relationships & cooperation with coworkers & customers are important. The Veteran's emotional impairments would seem to be a liability. (3) What he interprets as chronic headache, may be a response to cognitive impairment. An employer would be prudent who asks himself whether this Veteran with his impairments is the individual who should be working on aircraft engines. The Veteran's Physician requested from the employer a modification of his work schedule because of concerns about circadian rhythms in the Veteran. That request was nixed because granting it would in the employer's view, it would be a violation of the collectible bargaining agreement with the Union. However, the Veteran's positives with respect to employment were well stated by him when he said to this examiner, "I'm as strong as an OX".