VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flat foot, pes planus, injections to control pain

Rate this question

..tiredmarine0331

Question

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with mild pes planus (flat foot) at MEPS in 2007, I served in the infantry and went on hikes, runs, combat patrols etc. Both of my flat feet became worse over the years due to carrying heavy weight. Now that I am out of the military is very hard for me to walk even short distances without feeling pain, the V.A. already knows about this and prescribed a set of insoles that do not work. I am currently ongoing podiatry therapy through the veterans first choice program (civilian clinic paid by the V.A.) I get 3 injections of cortisone on each foot every 2 weeks and I will have my last session next week (for a total of 2 months). 

I am also diagnosed with constant shin splints, knee tendinitis, hip pain and 2 bulging discs L-4 L-5.

I am going to file a claim in a few months once I am done with my cortisone sessions.

My question is:

1. Since my flat feet became worse over the years in the military resulting in constant and severe pain now that I am out, would it be easier to make my flat feet a service connected disability? (it was already recorded in MEPS and service records but not severe as it is now)

2. Am I going to be able to connect everything else (shin splints, knee tendinitis, hip pain and 2 bulging discs) with my flat feet and make them service connected disabilities? and if so what is the best way to do this?

These are just the disabilities that I never complained about, and had to drag them with me until I got the courage to start therapy to reduce pain.

I am currently at 80% SC and working on other disabilities that I have mentioned in older posts as well just to clarify.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

FWIW,

I just tried to get an increase for my right foot plantar fasciitis.  I was originally given 10% for just having pain from plantar fasciitis in 2009.  About two years ago I started geting coritzone infections for pain, so I filled for an increase last year and was denied.

From what I can tell is you get 10% for pain, and only 10%.  With joints you can get more because of Range of Motion.

I would get service connected for flatffoot pain at 10% and then secondary your ankle for ROM is possible.

I do not think the injections call for anymore compensation than pain, i.e., 10%., however, in the archieves of past cases I do see where the shots have made a difference.

My C&P for my increase for plantar fasciitis did involve an x-ray that showed arthitis of the right ankle and the examiner stated that it was caused by the plantar fasciitis, but it is not mentioned in my rating denial.  I think I have something there for appeal, or at least a new secondary claim.  That's my next step.

Keep working all the angles, you know they are working all the angles against you.

You can bet on it,

Hamslice