VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please tell me what these results mean

Rate this question

2NDMARDIVDOC

Question

Hello. Below are the C&P exam results for on my shoulder claim. I'm having difficulty comparing the results to the rating criteria for shoulder conditions. Can you please tell me what these results equal in regards to the percentage assigned? By the way, this is for my non-dominate side. Thank you.

[X] Abnormal or outside of normal range [ ] Unable to test (please explain) [ ] Not indicated (please explain) Flexion (0 to 180): 0 to 140 degrees Abduction (0 to 180): 0 to 110 degrees External rotation (0 to 90): 0 to 70 degrees Internal rotation (0 to 90): 0 to 60 degrees If abnormal, does the range of motion itself contribute to functional loss? [X] Yes (please explain) [ ] No If yes, please

Range of motion is the biggest factor in cases like this, and from looking at yours, you'll be lucky to get 10%.

Sadly, the range of motion "tools" doctors use are more primitive than my spit-shined Cochran boots.

Just my opinion.

YOu posted:

He denies a specific in service injury.

That is a deal breaker.  No matter how many times I post this, I have to do it again.  You need the Caluza triangle for service connection:

1.  In service event or aggravation.  (Above, you have apparently, according to the doctor, denied an in service event) 

2.  Current diagnosis

3.  Nexus or link between the two.  

2NDMARDIVDOC - I am with Mr. Buck52 -

I have 22 years of Occupational Therapy experience & usually do not give direct advice...

but because of the "SLAP" lesion on the left, the MD did not strength test ( a wise man)  but your ROM & strength are not lacking much for "functional" ability.

"Functional" abilities ( not disabilities) is what they are looking at....  Also - a big consideration is - with surgery & time it gets better. - you are still in the recovery phase these shoulders take more time.     ( not unusual to take a year to be fully healed). The arthritis stated is similar to what all people have in common from overuse. 

F Y I 

I am 20% right shoulder because of ROM, I was first 10% for arthritis and then filed for increase because of ROM (pain).  This was an in service event.  Service connected.

I am 10% left shoulder because of arthritis.  It was rated secondary to my right shoulder.  Not injured in service.  Service connected secondary to my right shoulder.

One caused the other over time, etc.

Two points,

1. From my experience, ROM will get you more than 10%.  Arthritis (by x-ray) and pain gets you only 10% every time.  Talking joints here.

2. For me, the big money is in secondaries.  Again, over time.  As your body falls apart.

I started out with 4 10's (40%) all primary service connected. Now I have an additional 3-20's and 1-30, all secondaries.  Plus a couple more 10's from new claims.

My 30% (secondary) is secondary to a 0% service connected disability.  So 0%'s mean something, don't forget that.

Keep plugging away,

Hamslice