VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has anyone had ECT?

Rate this topic

My VA shrink put me in for a consult for ECT. I'm pretty stressed about it and terrified. I've done the googling about it and saw that all the professional orgs say it's improved, safe, and successful...but there's always the horror stories. Also I read it's not permanent. I was wondering if any of you have experienced ECT administered by the VA? I go next week to the consult, if I don't reschedule it again. I'm torn between desperate to feel my normal self and terrified to lose something I didn't sign up for (ECT is known to cause memory loss, supposedly it comes back). I'm guessing they will keep me inpatient for the treatments. I cancelled the first time because I was afraid they would baker act me to force the treatments on me. Maybe that's paranoid but this is all scary to me. Maybe someone here has had a positive experience?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is an ECT? Get back after you have the consult, with a full description please. I doubt the ECT would be done at the initial Consult, never know though. You can always opt out at the last minute.

Now I have to look up "ECT."

Semper Fi

Ya, checked it out on line, just trust it's not like we used to see in the flicks. I'd have to pass on the OLD SHOCK Therapy, just saying.

I'd like to talk to Vets that have received it, before I let them hook the Jumper Cables up to me.

Semper Fi

@Gastone that's what I'd like to do...talk to other vets who had it done at the VA. When I had an impatient stay there was another patient that mentioned having it done, but she didn't seem to be in any better shape than me so I'm not sure how great it worked.