VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can my Thai GF of 3 years submit evidence for my claim?

Rate this question

IconicX

Question

Ok. I am in the midst of a review. The actual review with the doctor is this Friday.  

In 2010 at 52 I was awarded 100% disability due to a service connected mental disorder (Non-PSTD.)

I live in Thailand and have for over 4 years. I am soon to be 59 and have a Thai GF of three years that lives with me. 

She knows me. She has seen me at my most intimate times. She knows how my very real disability manifests in my daily life. I am not talking about small stuff like just being moody. But how sometimes I am in bed all day and or walking around the house, dealing with voices, thoughts and feelings…. struggling with my disease. How I hardly leave the house and don't hangout with any friends or talk to anyone. 

I have been in continuous treatment in Thailand for my disorder. I have been seeing the psychiatrist every three months and receiving meds for the complete time I have been here and this is documented by my paper trail with the FMP (Foreign Medical Program) because they have approved the treatment and pay for them. The hospital and psychiatrist are international approved and accredited in the U.S.

When I found out that VA wanted me to have a review examination I got my medical files from the hospital  and i looked at them and found out that my doctor had just written on them that I was being treated for my disorder and that I appeared stable. This is my fault as I never really got into my situation with him in detail. Maybe I should have. Hind sight is 20/20. But dealing with feelings of such worthlessness because of my disorder I am used to down playing or masking over my disability symptoms. The reviewing psychiatrist just happens to be my regular doctor. He is one of the few Thai psychiatrists that is qualified to do the review exam and has done quite a few and is in the VA system as being qualified for they have accepted his review of other vets. 

I plan to ask him to interview my Thai GF. I think he will. Because I am going to make sure he understands my daily life and symptoms. I am confident that he will see that I am not making stuff up and that she is sincere and telling him the truth. My motivation for treatment was to continue my medication which helps but doesn't cure my disorder. For the four years he has been my doctor I have showed up probably looking not to bad. (My Thai GF really takes good care of me.) But now it is important that he understands the real truth of my disorder and my day to day struggle, my limitations and disability. I don't think there is any problem with that. And being a Thai himself I am sure he will see her sincerity and honesty.

My question to the forum is…. "Would it be valuable to have her to write something for the VA as supporting evidence?" She can just tell the VA what she have seen over the last 3 years regarding my day to day struggles with my disorder. Would the VA accept this as evidence considering she is a Thai national? How would I present this evidence to them? Also I am rated as 100% but not Total and Permanent.  Actually I am conflicted about T&P and don't want to accept that label right now. But a part of me knows that that is probably the true state of affairs. Does anyone have ideas about 100% VS 100% P&T?  Some people say that they might give it to me after this review anyway and I don't need to request it.

Thanks. 

Edited by IconicX
clarity grammar. added a few words.

4 answers to this question

Yes, you can use a THai GF buddy letter.  Buddy letters do work, provided they are consistent with medical evidence.  The CAVC says that they can not "dismiss" your evidence based solely on the fact that you  (or her, if you are supporting her) are an "interested party".  Its called "lay" evidence.  

Edited by broncovet

If it was me I would have her write a statement and have her go with you to any review or c&p exam. Present the statement to whoever is providing the review and submit the statement to whatever Regional office or whoever has asked for a review. Normally it is the regional office who sets up the c&p exam. If and when you mail it make sure that they sign something that shows that they received it. In the United States it is usually a certified letter and the mail people return a green card showing a signature of who received it. Keep a copy of the stuff you submitted and staple or attach the original statement and keep it for your records.

3 hours ago, waccamawwild said:

If it was me I would have her write a statement and have her go with you to any review or c&p exam. Present the statement to whoever is providing the review and submit the statement to whatever Regional office or whoever has asked for a review. Normally it is the regional office who sets up the c&p exam. If and when you mail it make sure that they sign something that shows that they received it. In the United States it is usually a certified letter and the mail people return a green card showing a signature of who received it. Keep a copy of the stuff you submitted and staple or attach the original statement and keep it for your records.

Thanks Waccamawwild

I too think it is a good idea to have her come to the c&p review and also write a statement and hand the statement to the c&p examiner at the review, and to then send a copy to the regional office that requested the review.  especially after reading broncovet reply above. Thank you for your reply. It really helps.  

8 hours ago, waccamawwild said:

This is the info that I needed. Thank you. 

Edited by IconicX