VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Helped by HadIt.com? Add your testimonial - Read others

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

My name is Michael I'm from Detroit Michigan and I found had it.com out of frustration. Not knowing where to turn not knowing how the system works not knowing any of my rights. Had it solved all of that they gave me the tools that I needed it to fight and gave me something that I could give to other veterans to help them out while on the hamster wheel. I am presently at 60% with six other contentions remaining and have been fighting since 2006 thank you had it. Com for all your help Godspeed

Edited by me.plum

Hi I am a female Army vet and victim of MST.  I had found out while at my local VA that I could file for SC for my PTSD secondary to MST.  I initially sought out help for the RO Claim coordinator and let the office in a full blown panic attack and humiliated at how I was treated when asking just a few simple questions on how to go about filing a claim.  I knew I would never ask another question again at the RO.  I stumbled across Hadit while searching the topic on how to file a claim as I was totally clueless about the process and didn't know anyone I could ask.  Even the VSO in my area was little to know help even telling me I needed to pay a psych doc. $400 that she recommended she knew and for me to go to and have a DBQ filled out to file my claim.   I chose to ignore that advice and began reading up and asking questions on the Hadit site.  With the help on Hadit and on the podcast I was able to educate myself and file my claim even as a FDC (Fully Developed Claim).  From my date of the intent to file to my 70% SC award it was a total of 7 mos.  I wonder if that is a record.  In any case, I could not have done it without the help of this site and I am truly grateful there are so many veterans and families of veterans that care enough to give their time selfishly to help another fellow veteran through a very difficult process.

God bless,

Michigander

I would have never gotten 100 percent, if it were not for hadit.  I applied in 2002, and did not get any benefits until 2005, when it was too little to late to keep me from losing my home and family.   

I had thought, in early 2004, it would "be ok" because my board decision was a "complete grant" of benefit sought".  The RO decided that "0" percent meant "complete" which led to my homelessness in 2005.  I was led to believe if you applied for an increase, they would decrease you instead, and found out that was a lie.  

My VSO said I should not appeal the 0 percent because I could lose service connection, and I should be happy with that and try to get an increase.    I appealed anyway, but worded the appeal so as to not "upset" my VSO.   I stated I was "dissatisfied" with the decision, and why.  The RO put it "in appeals", but then decided it was a new application and granted benefits, but at a later effective date.  

Im gonna try to figure out how much the VSO's lie cost me, but it at least cost me my home and family.  This is why I tell people to tatoo this on your arm if you need to remember it:

You can not trust everything your VSO or a VA employee tells you.  

I have been with hadit about 10 years now, and I directed my anger at helping other Vets.  Over 3000 Vets have thanked me, by "liking" advice I gave them.  I need other Vets, who have won their benefits, to also study up on it and answer Vets questions.   Im doing well now, I have learned to adapt to my disabilities and compensate somewhat.  

@broncovet @Tbird  I will definitely help another vet if I can and although everyone's experience can be slightly different (and have it's own nuances) the consensus seems to agree that VSOs and ROs can hurt a vet more than help...not the case here on Hadit.