VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adderall for Morphine SR effects

Rate this topic

I've been taking Morphine SR 15mgs 2x a day for over a year now and all it has done is keep my in my bedroom the majority of the time. A friend of mine who was in an automobile accident some years ago takes both Oxycodone 60mgs 4x a day and Morphine SR 100mgs 3x a day. I asked him how does he even get out of the house. He told me his doctor (private doctors by the way) gave him Adderall to help counter the drowziness of the Morphine SR.

Has anybody on here taken both Morphine SR and Adderall? Does it help with "pepping" you up while taking the Morphine SR? I am tired of feeling tired and weak all the time while dealing with the pain on top of that. So I asked my VA PCP to see if he can prescribe me some Adderall to help offset the effects of the Morphine SR. Its on the VA formulary list and I need something to give me a pep so I can get outside and move around!!!

Feedback appreciated.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Adderall is an amphetamine.  I don't think your VA doctor will give it to you.   I took it but it was prescribed from another doctor.  The VA had a fit since I am in the pain management program.  What your friend is taking is what used to be called a "speedball" that is mixing speed with a narcotic.   The problem I had with the Adderall was that I was taking oxycodone and Fentanyl  plus I have sleep apnea.   I was out of it, but while the Adderall helped me wake up it made me angry and I just could not control my temper.  I did not care about that but my wife sure did.   I know there are better pain meds out there than that damn Morphine SR, but the VA just won't prescribe them.  OxyContin  is better but the VA is so afraid of people abusing it or selling it that unless you have cancer they don't want to prescribe it even though it was invented for those with intractable chronic pain like me and you and your friend.

If you have a opiate pain contract with the VA I think they will object.  Since I have sleep apnea the VA objects to everything I take.  They think I should just gut it out.   Speaking of guts it takes a lot of guts to tell a person who is feeling hopeless from depression due to chronic pain to gut it out and live with it.

John

john999 you are absolutely correct. Tampa, VA has a Chronic Pain Rehab Program that both the PM neurologist and your PCP keep pushing on me. I told them if they will not do surgery they will never get me into the CPRP because all its for is to get veterans off the pain medications. These psyche doctors believe that because they now know pain comes from the brain they can treat it their way. But, what they do not get is the brain is perfect and if outputs pain signals that means there is something wrong. There is where the buck stops there with me and the CPRP. And your right they do not understand the depression the chronic pain causes then they want you to take this other medication which in turns causes other damages in your body, blah, blah, blah. Its the same ole' note.

When and its just a when that Florida gets on the ball with this Medical Marijuana I am moving over to that. For one its natural, not created by these pharmacists and chemists who try to play God. Last, I've weaned off the pain meds and was off of them for over a month and my wife cried along side me whenever I was in pain. The VA does not care because if they did they would have approved surgery years ago on my spine.