VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DIC and SS Disabilty Tax question

CathyG

Question

I hope I am in the right forum. I apologize if I am not. 

I receive DIC, and SS disability as well as a portion of my late husbands SS disability. I have not filed taxes in years because I was always told its not taxable and its my only income. Well I just bought a home last year, and I recently saw someone post that if your benefits are 25,000 or more then you have to file. Now Im scared and not sure if I should file this year because I bought a home and I do collect over 25,000.  Can someone advise me please? The SS Disability together does not equal 25,000 but, with my DIC its way over.

Thank You

Cathy

• HadIt.com Elder

if you need help filing your taxes, check with your local community center

This is where I go to file my taxes , I  use to do them myself but I don't keep up with the tax laws anymore  and besides at the community Center they have tax consultants to do the tax preparation for free on certain days of the week.

Please Note:

Each Community Center may be different ??  this is the way my community Center works.

Thanks Berta. I only get DIC and Social Security Disability. No other income. I have not filed taxes in years because of my SSD is under 25,000.  But now that I bought a home I just wondered if it would be to my own advantage to file this time. I wasnt aware until today however that we do not have to list our DIC as income at all.  All this is so complicated and my husband was a genius and always took care of things. I never had to worry over this kind of thing. So I am trying to figure it out. I think I should just go to a tax place and get them to advise. 

• HadIt.com Elder

CathyG

I moved your post to the DIC Forum  Maybe it will be read more there.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are fortunate enough to have other income like investment income, or any taxable income beyond a pretty low threshold the government will tax part of your SSDI.   The VA money is non-taxable.  Because my wife and I do have some investment income and I have a post office pension 85% of our SSA is taxed.  To me this is double taxation because if I am not wrong I paid tax on the money I contributed both to SSA and Medicare for 40 years.  Medicare and SSA contributions were not pre-tax dollars I don't think.  Correct me if I am wrong!  Us middle class types are just screwed to the wall.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ain't that the truth John999 :huh: