VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson vs Parkinsonism

Rate this question

x020574

Question

Is Parkinsonism presumptive as it is in Parkinson's for Viet Nam vets if exposed to herbicides?

I recently had a MRI of the head checking for clots. Surprisingly the report came back stating :

"MRI head: There is a punctate chronic lacunar infarct of the left caudate head. There is no evidence of hemorrhage, edema, masses, mass effect, midline shift or infarction. The ventricles and sulci are normal in caliber and configuration. Scattered areas of nonspecific periventricular, subcortical and deep white matter T2/FLAIR hyper intensity are in a configuration most suggestive of chronic small vessel ischemic disease. There is no abnormal enhancement after contrast administration. There is no abnormal focus of slowed diffusion. The principal intracranial vascular flow voids are preserved. The dural venous sinuses are patent on MP-RAGE images. "

I apparently have some kind of asymptomatic stroke and was not aware of it (lacunar infarct). Also there is the subject of  'white matter' and 'chronic small vessel ischemic disease'

Has anyone filed these conditions as secondary? I am SC for IHD, DMII, PTSD. From what I have read the Lacunar Infarct is mostly caused by hypertension.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is a  presumption A.O. List.  Link

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/

Edited by Buck52

HBP 1151 ""

"Has anyone filed these conditions as secondary? I am SC for IHD, DMII, PTSD. From what I have read the Lacunar Infarct is mostly caused by hypertension."

Yes HBP is the most common cause of stroke...however your IHD and/or your DMII would certainly be suspect as well, and IHD and DMII can cause atheroscherotic affects to the brain.

I didnt file as secondary. I filed as HBP under 1151, because the HBP was one of the malpracticed conditions my husband died from.He had multiple TIAs ( transcient ischematic strokes) that led to a major catastrophic totally disabling one.( 1151 CVA - 100% P & T)

Awarded  in 2015.( HBP claim)

However I could easily have filed for direct SC as secondary to his AO IHD and AO DMII.

VA prescribed a HBP dosage way too low and then contraindicated it by a 6 year sudafed prescription.

However if you feel your HBP was properly treated by VA, then I sure would file the claim for it as secondary to both the IHD and the DMII.

Unfortunately you might need an IMO/IME because even though the "standard and usual medial community" a legal term for medical care outside of the VA, knows full well how IHD and DMII can cause HBP and cause TIAs or major stroke, the VA will try to deny the claim,unless you have probative evidence 

(which might be found in your VA med recs) or they will grant the claim without an IMO/IME...hard to say.The VA has traditionally  stated that many veteran's HBP is "essential", meaning they don't know the cause and that is because they often do not even look for a cause. and only a HBP claim will trigger them to do that.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Just reading up on  Parkinsonism

I think it would qualify for the actually presumption A.O, LIST it has the same symptoms as Parkinson , or just file as presumption Parkinson.

I am fairly sure it could be file on its own and not fie it secondary/you have Vietnam boots on the ground service  all you would need is your DD-214  Showing you were in Vietnam and medical records to prove you have it....VA Will concede any A.O. Presumption Disease.

with what you are already rated for  and I take it your rating is 90%combined

if you get rated for Parkinson at least 50% that will boost you up to the 100%  if you get a rating of 60% or more that should qualify you for SMC-S H.B. & That is a Mandatory Rating because that would be a separate rating.

jmo

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

And also TBI's

8 hours ago, Berta said:
HBP 1151 ""

"Has anyone filed these conditions as secondary? I am SC for IHD, DMII, PTSD. From what I have read the Lacunar Infarct is mostly caused by hypertension."

Yes HBP is the most common cause of stroke...however your IHD and/or your DMII would certainly be suspect as well, and IHD and DMII can cause atheroscherotic affects to the brain.

I didnt file as secondary. I filed as HBP under 1151, because the HBP was one of the malpracticed conditions my husband died from.He had multiple TIAs ( transcient ischematic strokes) that led to a major catastrophic totally disabling one.( 1151 CVA - 100% P & T)

Awarded  in 2015.( HBP claim)

However I could easily have filed for direct SC as secondary to his AO IHD and AO DMII.

VA prescribed a HBP dosage way too low and then contraindicated it by a 6 year sudafed prescription.

However if you feel your HBP was properly treated by VA, then I sure would file the claim for it as secondary to both the IHD and the DMII.

Unfortunately you might need an IMO/IME because even though the "standard and usual medial community" a legal term for medical care outside of the VA, knows full well how IHD and DMII can cause HBP and cause TIAs or major stroke, the VA will try to deny the claim,unless you have probative evidence 

(which might be found in your VA med recs) or they will grant the claim without an IMO/IME...hard to say.The VA has traditionally  stated that many veteran's HBP is "essential", meaning they don't know the cause and that is because they often do not even look for a cause. and only a HBP claim will trigger them to do that.

Thank you for the encouragement Berta, and the links you provided. This week I will see a Neuro (VA) concerning my MRI results. So I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm suspecting they will say Parkinsonism instead of full blown Parkinson's. I thought I have read somewhere in the past Parkinsonism was NOT presumptive to AO. I have been awarded AO IHD, AO DMII, but not HBP. I had HBP (take 4 different BP meds) for a long before AO  service connections. If I file for HBP wouldn't they reject that?