VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newly 100% P&T PTSD, Scared about SSDI

Rate this question

Kekome

Question

Hello everyone.  I've been searching this website and yukon website for my answers and I guess I just want to ask this question again because the answers I'm seeing are from 2011 or so and I want to make sure it's still valid for 2017.

I got out of the service on medical discharge for fibromyalgia, MDD, and GAD in 2008. I was unable to tell anyone about my MST that happened prior to me developing Fibro (which I found out is usually connected to PTSD).  Anyrate, since then I have talked to the VA Psychs for help and tried to "fix" myself and finally I opened up and told them about my MST and received a diagnosis of PTSD in 2013.  Then in 2016 my VA Primary Care told me to reapply for benefits because she said they need to service connect me for my PTSD.  I submitted my application, was honest and straight forward and very forthcoming even though I cried through my Comp and Pen exam.  I have used Voc Rehab to change careers from Nuclear Electronics Technician to an Ultrasound Tech, and have worked as a tech from 2012-2014.  After 2014 I quit working when my daughter was born, but also my fibromyalgia was flaring up so bad that it made it impossible to work anymore.  I haven't worked since.  

Voc Rehab screwed up my award and didn't close out my case so I still have benefits left over and I was approved with a severe work handicap to use my benefits to go back to school after the birth of my second child.  So here I was waiting for my disability decision and studying for the GRE to apply to a Nurse Practitioner Program helping women only because I have PTSD attacks with men.  I was hoping that wouldn't be as hard on me as my Ultrasound position was.  Then I get the decision stating that I am 100% P&T for PTSD, and 60% combined for fibromyalgia and hearing issues from the Navy, all service connected, and I'm getting SMC for Homebound criteria being met.  I called the VA directly to find out if that meant that I wasn't allowed to work anymore.  (I didn't plan on going to school until 2019, and not trying to work again until 2022.)  The VA rep said that I WAS allowed to work and they may evaluated me in the future for my PTSD, and 'could' lower my rating, but that the rating wouldn't be lowered if I still met the criteria for 100% PTSD, it wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not I was working.  The American Legion rep said I was allowed to work as well.  But then when I read these forums it says I'm not allowed to work.  I know already that Voc Rehab wouldn't pay for me to do the Nurse Practitioner schooling anymore because I was having difficulties trying to get them to approve it when I had a 50% rating, and now that I'm higher I know without a doubt they wouldn't allow it, so I understand I'm not going to be a Nurse Practitioner for Women's Health anymore.

So I guess what I'm so upset about is accepting the fact that I can't work.  I will have two children that I don't want to lose the education benefits for whatsoever, and everything else that's included with the 100% rating.  No way in heck I want to lose that!  It will sit easier with me if I get approved for SSDI.  But that terrifies me too! I'm waiting for an appointment to apply in person because I'm scared I'll mess it up doing it online.

So, confirmation: I cannot work if I don't want to risk losing any benefits, correct? And what are the do's and don'ts as far as what I should do in order to keep this disability rating for the next 19 years? I think that terrifies the most, screwing up and having my rating decreased.

I know we are all stressed about this, please forgive me for this long post.  And thank you all for your service and your advice. Peace and Love.

• HadIt.com Elder

It just helps to stay in treatment for some reason I feel better after leaving a session with my therapist !

now rather or not its working I don't know? I still avoid crowds or be around a lot of people and not very sociable, I don't think we will ever be cured of our PTSD, but we can find a way to manage it and what ever that takes we must do it, my therapist gets aggravated at times with me  because he  always says my thoughts tells me to do things that are not the facts...and it only confuses me, but I do understand what his meaning is...its hard to explain to him in certain situations that how I feel  and why I feel this way.

but I keep going to treatment because someday something will start to click  at least I am hoping.

stay in treatment rather or not you don't think its working  there's always that someday  things will become together and make more sense to us.

• HadIt.com Elder

Some times group sessions are better than one on one  just depends on how you think? for me my therapist said I can try the group sessions  but from him just talking with me  he don't think its a good Idea, b/c in group sessions different veterans will talk about different things and some things  they may talk about will only up-set you or bring back harsh memories..for some veteran it helps them to relive the memories, for me it makes matters worse.

• HadIt.com Elder

For me  I have accepted I have Chronic PTSD and stay in treatment and hope some day I can see the light....for now I try to manage it the best I can by staying in treatment.

I agree with buck,  I havnt been to my therapy in a few months due to scheduling conflicts.  Ive noticed a change in myself and I honestly don't like it.  The main thing is realizing that people are there for you and once you establish a relationship with your treatment person it gets easier.  Things will still be tough but they give you tools to help.  Like buck said im not sure if its working but I do feel better when I go.  I have a scheduled appointment in the next 30 days but I may bump it up to something closer.  Good luck and remember there are people who are there to help.  for some that's the hardest part to accept.

Dude, you are WRONG!!!!!!! I'm 100 Percent Schedular Permanent and Total due to PTSD plus homebound Special Monthly Compensation S plus I'm bon SSDI and I got approved for a Doctorate to do Physical Therapy School through Voc Rehab. I only had 22 days left on my GI Bill and they had to extend my schooling by 3 years! This is how I did it. I shadowed a lot of Physical Therapists and letters of recommendation from them plus with my professors. I logged my hours and showed them that I got accepted into Physical Therapy School. They approved the program. I went to Social Security and got into the Ticket to Work program so they wouldn't review me while I was in Physical Therapy School. So, I got to keep both benefits while I was in school. Also, while I have heard of people losing 100 percent permanent and total schedular due to PTSD for working, I have never seen anyone on this forum actually lose it. Also, my VSO told me that once you are at 100 percent permanent and total schedular, I can't lose it even if I'm working unless I open up the case myself. With that being said, I did fail out of the program and I'm back to square one. I'm trying to go back to school to become a nurse and work with the VA. I'm going to do everything to cover my ass in the meantime. I figure in theory they could lower it if I'm working, however, if you have most of the symptoms of 100 Percent schedular you shouldn't lose it and you can fight it if they try. Don't give up! You got this! My VSO tried to tell me that getting approved for a doctorate was impossible, but holy moses, it got approved! 

21 minutes ago, Anthony333777 said:

Dude, you are WRONG!!!!!!! I'm 100 Percent Schedular Permanent and Total due to PTSD plus homebound Special Monthly Compensation S plus I'm bon SSDI and I got approved for a Doctorate to do Physical Therapy School through Voc Rehab. I only had 22 days left on my GI Bill and they had to extend my schooling by 3 years! This is how I did it. I shadowed a lot of Physical Therapists and letters of recommendation from them plus with my professors. I logged my hours and showed them that I got accepted into Physical Therapy School. They approved the program. I went to Social Security and got into the Ticket to Work program so they wouldn't review me while I was in Physical Therapy School. So, I got to keep both benefits while I was in school. Also, while I have heard of people losing 100 percent permanent and total schedular due to PTSD for working, I have never seen anyone on this forum actually lose it. Also, my VSO told me that once you are at 100 percent permanent and total schedular, I can't lose it even if I'm working unless I open up the case myself. With that being said, I did fail out of the program and I'm back to square one. I'm trying to go back to school to become a nurse and work with the VA. I'm going to do everything to cover my ass in the meantime. I figure in theory they could lower it if I'm working, however, if you have most of the symptoms of 100 Percent schedular you shouldn't lose it and you can fight it if they try. Don't give up! You got this! My VSO tried to tell me that getting approved for a doctorate was impossible, but holy moses, it got approved! 

First things first, this thread began in February 2017 and ended in 2017.  Really not sure who you are directing it to but the bottom line you are being forewarned that VA/SSA could try to re-evaluate your disabilities once/if  you complete your courses and it could be a very hard road back.  If you get to the point of maintaining a position more than twelve consecutive months, you will definitely be re-evaluated. Now with that said, you do whatever you want to do.  It is your life and your decision.