VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What to put when filing

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

When I file a new claim on eBene should I put just a general disability or be more specific?

For example I have a new claim I am putting in for shoulder issues, I have a nexus letter that links my shoulder tendinitis and Arthritis to my service. Should I put left shoulder condition or should I put something different?

5 answers to this question

Here's the deal.  For me anyway.

Tendinitis and arthritis, can and should be claimed separately, but, you will only get one rating, i.e., if they gave you the max for tendinitis, you would get 10%, and if you got the max for arthritis, you would get 10%.  But in the end they will only give you 10% total.  Not both.  I know this, because I have this on both my shoulders.  The reason you want to fill on both is if you loose one, you may get the other.

Now, the big money is in ROM (Range of Motion).  Tell in the claim that it hurts to move your arm (shoulder pain).  They should measure your ROM.  Here is where you can get up to 40% if I remember correctly.  You get more if it is your dominate shoulder.  I get 20% (dominate) for my right and 10% for my left.

Just so you know, if service connected, you get 10% for arthritis from an x-ray.  That's an easy 10%.

ROM on the other hand is subjective.  You will NEED to tell the examiner when you feel pain (first feeling) when he moves your shoulder through the ranges.  DO NOT let the examiner wrench your arm past pain.  And don't YOU move past pain.  You are trying to show the examiner when pain first starts because you are claiming pain.

Hope this helps,

Hamslice

HamSlice,

Thank you for the very detailed and knowledgeable response! Your help with this issue is very much appreciated. I believe I will follow your words of advice and claim both. I agree ROM is everything, I actually bought a digital goniometer, for my last shoulder and back increase claim. (went from 0% to 20% on both based just on ROM).