VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Inquiry

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

I know that some of us spend a good deal of time bashing the VA, but I sent an IRIS inquiry up yesterday asking about the status of an appeal that was submitted in April 2005, and whether the new claim I submitted last month would cause any problems with the appeal.

I received a reply back in less than 2 hours notifying me that my appeal was sent to the appeals team on December 4th, and that my new claim would wait until the appeal was finished since my record could only be in one place at a time.

While it has taken a long time for the appeal, the quick reply to the inquiry was certainly a surprise and remarkable.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I hope the reply was correct----

at least you have hard copy on what they said-

the Iris reply I got over a week ago was so bizarre, (it was fast reply also)that I sent a service complaint to the VBA- what I mean is-if you ask a regular status question -the inquiry goes right to the VARO-

If you send it as a service complaint- it goes to the VBA and then to the VARO- I guess they keep a record of service complaints.

It was so bizarre (what VA said) that I enclosed the inquiry in letter to NVLSP and also to Regional Counsel- it supports my recent FTCA claim but also reveals that the evidence is never making it from the mailroom to the c file. And It shows my vet reps submissions of my evidence never happened either-

Service complaints take about 5 days or more to be re-routed back to the VARO.

Hi There,

I just used IRIS for the first time and sent the following complaint,

chances are that I won't get an answer.

Complaint:

It is the standing policy of the VARO TOGUS to send letters to all individuals that are scheduled for a video hearing on a specific day that their appointment is for 0830 and that they are to arrive one half hour before their scheduled hearing time. There is no indication on any correspondence that the actual hearings arescheduled that day on a first come-first served basis and depending on how many hearings are scheduledthe potential exists that the veteran will be waiting for an extended period of time. This practice is very inconsiderate of the veteran and the VSO who is representing the veteran. Clearly it implies a total disregard for the value of the veteran's and VSO's time.

In MANY cases at this specific RO the veteran must travel great distance to get to the RO and it makes the issue even worse if the individual veteran is economically or physically disadvantaged and cannot provide their own transportation.

If you use the example that the Veteran who lives 3 hours away is using others for their transportation and must arrive at 0800 and there are multiple hearing to be conducted, you place the veteran in the position of having to be up and on the road sometime around 0300 and having them exhausted by the time their

hearing time arrives. this places the veteran at an extreme disadvantage at the hearing and is blatantly

unfair and discriminatory.

The VARO TOGUS claims that it is due to the BVA directives and unchangeable even though the RO TOGUS schedules all the hearing and can make the appropriate change if they so chose.

This has been a long standing issue brought to the management's attention many times and they demonstrate a capricious disreguard for the people they are supposed to be helping.

XXXXXXXXXX, the Regional office Director basically told me that "this is the way it is". He further stated to me that if I didn't like it I could leave.

Terrible customer service and a shining example of the pervasive attitude in that office that it's my way or the highway.

I specifically asked about a timeline for a policy change and was ignored.

I believe it is reasonable that I be given a written apology by the Veteran Service Manager for the poor conduct of his employee, and a new policy be established following a complete review of the scheduling process that takes into consideration the Veteran and VSO's time along with other appropriate considerations.