VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Secondary to Chronic Pain

Rate this question

Grunt509

Question

Hello All!

I was notified that some day I will be receiving a letter to go to Washington for a hearing for my appeal. I filed for hypertension secondary to chronic pain. Here is a synopsis...

Leading up to my first surgery in 1994 done by the Army. I was told to come into the aide station to have my blood pressure recorded. Being a dumb 21 year old Airborne Infantryman I didn't think nothing of it. I went, my pressure was high and it was logged in my medical records. I had my spinal fusion to correct a parachuting accident.

Mar 1994, I was discharged because the fusion didn't work. Right before, back to the aide station for blood pressure check-ups. I didn't file for it at discharge cause they don't tell you those things then.

1998 I am put on blood pressure medication and an aspirin at the VA hospital in Pittsburgh.

2003 (roughly) I was 31 and I had a mini-stroke. I went to the VA in Pittsburgh, they couldn't find anything. I move to Texas with my Ex and our kids. Shortly there after, I get a call from the Nuerology Department at the VA. You need to see a Neurologist, we found something. I go see one. The is when I found out about the TIA.

I the mean time, I did file for Service Connected for Hypertension and was denied. I figured, screw it. I got the rating I was happy with for me back and knees.

The EX leaves and I am taking care of my three kids on my own. My blood pressure is not controlled and neither is my pain. I go to the ER on several occasion, without telling the Triage nurse what is wrong she sees my BP is high and says, "you are in pain."

At this point, I am put on double the dose of medication. Due to my blood pressure being high from the chronic back and knee pain.

Has anyone out there tried to do this and succeeded? I am concerned with the hearing coming up, who knows when, but this has been on my mind to ask.

Thank-you all for any and all input!

Jim

Edited by Grunt509
forgot something

5 answers to this question

i have similar back issues. DJD and nerve. i did try this as well. i put in for hypertention due to pain and i got a denial. the denial stated from Doctor ( wich i dont believe)  said, all medical dictionaries state that chronic hypertention is not a secondary due to pain its only a brief of high blood pressure. in other words,,, they said that hypertension needs a reason and pain is not the absolute cause. you will need an IMO directing that it is due to pain for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with paulcolrain

This Dr is full of it.  if he was a VA Dr   then just wants to use his credential as power that he can mess up a veterans claim.

I be glad when the VA gets Rid of all these kinds of Dr's, I had a VA Dr do this to me and had to go get a private Dr to rebut him and it worked.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1524-6175.2003.02830.x/full

I have to say I was lucky. Before I moved from West Virginia, my primary care there wrote a very good letter stating she believe the high blood pressure is related to the chronic pain. Just a waiting game till my Washington hearing. :huh:

On 2/23/2017 at 9:35 AM, Buck52 said:

I agree with paulcolrain

This Dr is full of it.  if he was a VA Dr   then just wants to use his credential as power that he can mess up a veterans claim.

I be glad when the VA gets Rid of all these kinds of Dr's, I had a VA Dr do this to me and had to go get a private Dr to rebut him and it worked.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1524-6175.2003.02830.x/full

I ALSO GOT TO SAY,,,, DIDNT THE BVA COME OUT WITH A FAST LETTER DIRECTING THE RO TO CHANGE THIS? LIKE I REMEMBER AT SOME POINT READING THAT,,, IF THE DOCTOR OR THE C+P CANT PROVE THAT IT DOESNT CAUSE A SECONDARY THAN THE 50% RULE GOES TO VET... IN OTHER WORDS FLIP WHAT Dr. SAID. SO ITS NOT THE CAUSE BECAUSE IT ONLY CAUSES HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE FOR A MOMENT OF PAIN... WELL THEN,,,, ISNT THAT A CAUSATION OF SECONDARY THAT GIVES TO VET? I MIGHT LOOK INTO MY OWN CLAIM NOW.... LOL...